OT: Building in isolated location

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

warmstrong1955

Re: OT: Building in isolated location

Post by warmstrong1955 »

Nice Bill!

Things are moving right along, and it's lookin' like a house!
Still like those windows, lower & upper floors!

:) Other Bill

I'd guess your young bear friend is 60-70 lbs. Hope you have plans on getting bear-proof garbage cans! Those critters can turn into real pests. (Note: rubber bullets only work a few times!)
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

Bill--

The upper floor pour is coming up later today. I'm rendering it now. That will make me very close to being current. The only thing left is the roof truss video which really makes it look like a house.

I designed the house for one thing: The View. That's why there are so many windows on the south side. Every living space in the house has that view. The only exceptions are my den and the two guest bathrooms.

There are some actual human settlers within a few miles of our place. I will see how they handle the bears.

--Other Bill
You are what you write.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

Yeah....I'm really liking those windows, just for that view.
I was on a job in Montana, and three of us on the job rented a cabin, if you could really call it a cabin, (three stories) up on a hill between Nye & the mine. It had windows all the way across the valley side. Had curtains....but we never closed 'em! Why would you?? Wooden deck out there too.
I always figured if I built a house with a view like that.....I'd do the same, and have lots of windows!

Nice Bill!

Other Bill
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

Oh....and if you need more info on the bears that the locals don't have, ask. I have lived in Colorado, Montana, and Alaska, and put up with lots of 'em!
Bearock.jpg
:)
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

BIll--

Great picture!

I will definitely cross check whatever I learn from the locals about the bears with you. My little brother lives about 7 miles away in the same type of area (it's all heavily wooded and hilly) and has never seen a bear. When I showed some of the pictures around at the trout resort about four miles away, some had seen a bear and some had not. The owner has seen many of them.

I think people are just not looking for bears. We are in the middle of the densest black bear population in Missouri. I don't know how many bears there are, but there must be a few if I caught one on a game camera right away and our friend saw a much larger one on her property, which is adjacent to ours, while they were camping.

A couple of years ago, my wife and I saw a very large one on the road not far from the build site. She had to slam on the brakes to keep from hitting it. It just looked at us and lumbered out into the forest.

--Bill
You are what you write.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

Hey Bill!

I like that pic too! A friend in Juneau sent it to me a few years ago. No idea where it was taken.

Most part....bears stay away from people. Especially blackies.
They get hungry, they will check things out. They have territories, their own paths, and routines.
They find food, and it doesn't take much, they will be back. It becomes part of their daily tour. Creatures of habit. My BIL hunts 'em, and is a guide in Michigan.

Last year we lived in Alaska, I was loading up the pickup, and a big blackie wandered thru the yard, about 200-250 lbs.
He saw me....I was stuffin' slugs in the 12 gage, and he ran. Normal blackie....generally skittish.
Unless they find food.....they get braver.

Other Bill
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

Bill--

Do their territories overlap? My feeder is on the western boundary of our property. The build site is a half mile away on the eastern boundary. I am wondering if there may be more bears in or around "his" territory.

--Other Bill
You are what you write.
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

All--

Here we are pouring the upper floor. I'm rendering the "roof truss" video. That is the last one in the can until I get back to the site.

https://youtu.be/QV1m0PYZnbg

--Bill
You are what you write.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

Generally no, they don't overlap. When they do, there's trouble. They don't like each other much. Territorial critters.
The young ones, like you have pics of, they are still scouting around and establishing theirs, without getting their butts kicked by their bigger cousins.
More often that not, the littler ones will run away from a bigger ones too. (Unlike brownies) They adjust accordingly.

They will establish a routine....where they go in the morning, where they go at night, based on food for the most part. They establish paths, which, with a good eye, you can locate.
When they find food, and more than once in the same spot, they will adjust their routine, and it becomes part of their daily 'tour'. Might be nuts & berries, like Yogi. Might be a garbage can. Might be a barbecue. You should see what one can do to a stainless steel Weber! I got pics somewhere.....

Other Bill
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

Hey Bill,

Nice shiny new Schwing pumper! Although, I am more familiar with the compact pumps they make...
(Things I would look at.....I am an equipment guy.....)

Progress! Gotta feel good!

;)
Bill
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

All and Bill--

More progress! Roof trusses . . .

https://youtu.be/-AqJYVXmqCw

--Bill
You are what you write.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

Cathedral ceiling! Very nice!
And again, that is glorious view!

Did they drill your well with a DTH? That's what it looks like in the vid....hard to tell....didn't show the rest of the rig.

(Again....equipment guy....)

;)
Other Bill