OT: Building in isolated location

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

seal killer

Re: OT: Building in isolated location

Post by seal killer »

Bill--

"DTH?" I thought that was floral company.

That's my answer and I'm sticking to it. :(

Here are some grainy pictures my brother took of the rig. Do they tell you anything?
IMG_5315.JPG
IMG_5316.JPG
IMG_5317.JPG
--Other Bill
You are what you write.
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

Glenn--
The viewer has the ability to speed up or slow down the video using the "SPEED" selection under the settings icon (looks like a gear and is in the lower right corner) in YouTube.

Gives you ranges from 1/4 speed to double speed, so the video you posted can be viewed in pretty much normal speed or sped up even more if desired.
Thanks! I didn't know that. I'll just stick it in the bucket of things I didn't know. It's a HUGE bucket.

--Bill
You are what you write.
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

Don't worry Bill, you've got land. When I get there with all my machines, we can pack them in your existing shop for storage until you build a big one. Maybe up behind the house, with a private drive and a built in apartment for me. Let me know when we are ready to move in! :oops: :lol:

Looking good Bill, wish I had your energy and enthusiasm. I've said before, I think my next house will have a concrete slab for a yard, and a 40' x 80' (or bigger!) insulated steel building with a framed 2 bedroom apartment in one corner. A friend of mine had a friend who bought a defunct industrial building down near the airport. Just about what I want, and that's what he did, moved in! Less than a year later the city found out and evicted him, not zoned for habitation. I think he rented it to a business after that.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

All--

Toppling tress is always a lot of fun . . . until it's not. The tall pine in this video turned into a lot of work in the hot sun.

I tried to topple it. No give (at the ground level). Using the backhoe, I dug around and broke roots. No soap. Dug more. Nothing. Dug More. Still nothing. Dug MORE. That did it!

But, I'm wondering if my method is OSHA approved?

https://youtu.be/LzzBigt0cOg

--Bill
You are what you write.
spro

Post by spro »

If it didn't work, probably not. That was something to see and I did something similar with smaller trees like dead elms and maples. I think those days are over for me. I didn't have a skid steer and it was tightly compact area but with a 4X4 truck. You couldn't just cut these trees because they would fall onto a power line or some parked car. Tension was applied by cable or very long strap so it would fall within a narrow yard. It was already hacking out the roots, tension and more hacking as the roots were exposed.
I'm only saying there was some relation to your method on a smaller scale.
There is something else about roots and stuff. They can have a grip in the soil around water lines, gas lines, sewer piping and underground electrical cables. You aren't in the position I was.
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

spro--

Your reason was my reason: I didn't want that tall pine falling on the just completed roof decking! (It would not have hurt the concrete walls.)

I used a mix of DOT 70 and DOT 80 chain out to 120 feet. So, I was a long way from the top of the 75 foot (more or less) pine when it headed my way.

That pine was the tallest, but it wasn't the biggest I've (personally*) taken down. That "record" belongs to a 26" diameter red oak. Like the pine, I saved the log. I have several different types of millable (gee, I guess that's not a word) logs, now; red oak, oak, white oak, hickory, and pine. My brother-in-law has a portable saw mill. I think he is going to drag it down from Michigan and make lumber for me.

*Mr. Excavator Man took down a 100' pine. I hated to see that baby go, but it was right in the middle of the garage. I saved the log.

--Bill
You are what you write.
spro

Post by spro »

Yes Bill and I understand why. Too much invested for those trees to ruin the work. It is great that you are saving trees which can become other beams or interesting panels inside. You mentioned that earlier and I would do the same.
It does come to how the planks are stored and that is another thing. Bugs want to get into them immediately and that is because there was a whole lot more bugs and now, fewer trees. Just saying that putting a tarp over fresh cut invites problems unless you move quicker than many.
A friend of mine had a fairly large boat which sank during a storm. It was pulled out and part of the mahogany deck was used as an outside table. The rest of the mahogany and beams and masts sat under tarps for a few years. EATEN away too quickly to believe.
I suppose he thought the table would be a gage to what was happening under those tarps. It wasn't and that gets to how wood should be stacked.
neanderman

Post by neanderman »

spro wrote:It wasn't and that gets to how wood should be stacked.
"Stacked and stickered", as they say. With plenty of ventilation -- it just needs to be covered on top to keep it from getting wet.

Painting the ends of the logs with some leftover latex paint will help prevent the logs from checking. Debarking it wouldn't hurt, but it's not essential.

The house is looking good!
Ed

LeBlond Dual Drive, 15x30
US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618
Files, snips and cold chisels

Proud denizen of the former "Machine Tool Capitol of the World"
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

seal killer wrote:Bill--

"DTH?" I thought that was floral company.

That's my answer and I'm sticking to it. :(

Here are some grainy pictures my brother took of the rig. Do they tell you anything?

--Other Bill
DTH = Down The Hole. It's a percussive rockdrill.
Pics appear to be a rotary drill.

Been trying to catch up....lost out internet for about a week. Big fire in Pyramid Valley burned up...or down, depending on your political viewpoint, a bunch of AT&T fiberoptic lines and equipment, besides the usual sagebrush and cheatgrass. Last I heard, it covered about 155 square miles.

:) Other Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
pete

Post by pete »

Sounds like the fires here in B.C. I've got one less than 5 miles away. :-(
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

As John Fogerty sang....."Do-do-do, lookin' out my back door....."

This would be the one that started around Dun Glen. (Ghost town, about 20-30 miles south)
The fire...now closer than that. Sorry it's not a better pic. Lookin' into the sun more or less.
7-15-17 Dun Glen - Rescaled.jpg
The airport here sounds a lot more like a WWII Air Force base I suspect.....all the pointy-nosed Piper PA-36's flying and zoomin' in & out, and over our house.

Go get 'em!
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

I'm about five weeks from a return to the United States and a switch to rural living. Until I escape, I can live vicariously through this thread.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.