OT: Building in isolated location

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

duckman903

Re: OT: Building in isolated location

Post by duckman903 »

It's probably to late, but I don't like straps as much as I like chains I use chains over finished surfaces but I also put the chains inside old fire hose not the new flimsy stuff the old canvas with rubber inside them, yes I do use straps but I always have at least 1 chain holding the item from moving forward when the idiot in front of you does something stupid. Straps have a tendency to slip , if you use them on your lathe go around the bed at least once , like this go over the bed from your anchor point then pass it back under the bed then back to the ratchet handle, when you go around the bed you may have to block the strap form contacting any feed screws or drive rods. I pride my self on never loosing a machine or having it fall over, I've had to repair a bunch of machines that had fallen on there face or side because the people moving them knew what they were doing .
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

duckman--

No, it's not too late. The virus has brought everything to a halt. My wife and I (66 and 70, respectively) are extremely fortunate to have this isolated acreage to hole up in. We never see anyone unless we go to town about 30 miles away.

Go from the anchor over the bed then down and under the bed to the ratchet and then the same on the other side?

I pray you and yours are happy and healthy.

--Bill
You are what you write.
neanderman

Post by neanderman »

Sounds like good advice!

And I'll extend Seal Killer's wish for continued good health -- I'm 64, albeit in excellent health, so I fall into the "high risk" category.

I'm well stocked with food (though I have 'only' 8 rolls of TP! :mrgreen: ), so I expect to weather this storm.
Ed

LeBlond Dual Drive, 15x30
US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618
Files, snips and cold chisels

Proud denizen of the former "Machine Tool Capitol of the World"
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

All--

I'm still stymied on moving my equipment from KC to here. So, I decided to paint a little in my shop to cheer us up! (This is 26 feet across the back wall. I cropped it to not show crap kinda laying around.)

I pray you and yours are all healthy and happy.

--Bill
2020-04-19 Red White and Blue.jpg
You are what you write.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

A patriotic racing stripe! I like it!

By the way, what you cropped out of the pic is classified as ‘stuff’.
If t belonged t someone else, it would be crap.

Other Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
pete

Post by pete »

At the first mine I worked at the mill maintenance dept office had a 4 drawer file cabinet labeled "Stuff," "Stuff Stuff, "Secret Stuff", and "If I tell You I'll Have To Kill You Stuff". :-)
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

Two thumbs up!
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Now you need to paint the rest of that AMTRAK diesel whose stripe is on the wall...
RussN
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

Russ—

When I worked on the Santa Fe, Amtrak used our passenger train diesels. That was LONG AGO: I had just turned 19 and put in my 10 before going into education.

I only have a vague memory of their color but I will never forget that sound as the hog pulled it out of the hole at Union Station and smoked by us in AY Tower on the welded rail on his way to 90mph with all the units harmonizing to create a unique, unforgettable sound which easily even after half a century.

I don’t miss the RR too much, but I miss that sound!
—Bill
You are what you write.
spro

Post by spro »

Really good seeing the pictures. I am also happy for you. My little house is Cape Cod style. Over time, trees beat the flyin' out of it. Sometimes it rips some of the aluminum siding away. I look at that deep blue trim and must remember that I painted that so long ago. From the time I bought this house, realtors were saying don't improve it. There is a highway that would tear out most of that community. There are reasons that it didn't happen. They built an overhead, further east. That is a trip and not about me or neighbors ( in that century). Maybe it was a hair's difference but grand old brick houses continue to stand... sort of. Just a few down the road, a trackloader went right through the ground level and tore the blank out of was once a cool house. Maybe it fell into the basement. For years there were noises and some more strange than others.

Grappling all the structure, all the memories like it was nothing.
Super construction followed and that domicile is very grand. Almost impossible large but other stuff already happened.
spro

Post by spro »

I suppose this is the time to propose an issue and sort of leave it there. For near a year there was a concentrated attempt to have a charge. The charge was for internal water pipes etc. Meaning that they/ whoever is getting into your house with cameras. Coincidentally; the water pressure is ramped up, defeating the pressure regulators. All of a sudden , everyone has a problem and every valve is leaking. More leakage means more waste. We can tie this together how elements served near forever. Then insurance and then absolutely blow your pipes away. It is cruel, harmful to do this. This in the middle of a pandemic or whatever. I'm experiencing that. They are changing the pressure.
neanderman

Post by neanderman »

NP317 wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:24 am Now you need to paint the rest of that AMTRAK diesel whose stripe is on the wall...
RussN
But which phase? Please, not the bloody nose...
Ed

LeBlond Dual Drive, 15x30
US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618
Files, snips and cold chisels

Proud denizen of the former "Machine Tool Capitol of the World"