OT: Building in isolated location

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

John Hasler

Re: OT: Building in isolated location

Post by John Hasler »

pete wrote:It would be pretty rare for a black bear to even try for a deer Bill. Way too quick for them unless it was old and/or sick. There mostly foragers and eat everything from fresh grass in the spring to grubs or anything dead. I have seen full grown grizzlys digging up fox dens and snacking on the new pups though. Not a pretty sight. PETA would be horrified I guess.
But deer do get old or sick, and black bear will take them. They also eat a few fawns. I agree that deer are not a major part of their diet, though.
neanderman

Post by neanderman »

I've seen deer fencing as high as 8 feet...
Ed

LeBlond Dual Drive, 15x30
US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618
Files, snips and cold chisels

Proud denizen of the former "Machine Tool Capitol of the World"
NP317

Post by NP317 »

neanderman wrote:I've seen deer fencing as high as 8 feet...
Those 8' high fences are the norm here in the Hood River Valley, to protect the orchard fruit crops.
Still, we see evidence in our yard of bears getting into the cherry orchards.
It's the pits...
~RN
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

neanderman wrote:I've seen deer fencing as high as 8 feet...
That's the legal minimum for deer farms here in Wisconsin.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Interestingly, when my wife and I moved to Washington, we had chain link fence, 6' tall, installed in an area roughly 75' square (not 75 square feet). We've been here for more than 20 years and have never had a problem with deer in the garden.

I should make mention, the deer, here, are black tail----a relatively small animal.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
JackF

Post by JackF »

Harold is right, when we lived ion Issaquah we had a 6' fence around the back yard and the only time the deer got in the back yard was when the the wind blew the fence down :( or when we left the side gate open for their free passage. We loved to take pics of them. Some would even bed down in the more secluded areas. :) :) That is the thing we most miss here in Caldwell.
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

All--

A tour of the home site. I began on the lower level, next to the break in the ridge above the cliff. I videod this twice, the first time using the GoPro's "Super Wide" setting and the second time using the "Linear" setting, which is something of an approximation of what you and I see with the old Mark I devices.

Only the Linear setting didn't record because I didn't push the button or I didn't push it hard enough or I pushed the wrong button or . . .

Anyway, the only version I have to post is the Super Wide. So, here it is.

https://youtu.be/3riu2yw56dg

As a bonus, here is the absolute up to date latest on the garage and shop . . .
IMG_6804 - resized.jpg
IMG_6806 - resized.jpg
--Bill
You are what you write.
Patio

Post by Patio »

Wow Bill, that is going to be nice when completed. That is a dream home for sure. :)
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

All--

I need a couple of retaining walls. I decided to use those large concrete blocks poured when concrete trucks do their cleanouts back at the plant. They are often rough and ugly. To overcome that, I will face them with natural stone or stucco them after smoothing the surface out with mortar.

Here is a partial wall created from eight of the 2'x2'x4', 2,400lb. blocks. (I plan to use some larger 2'x2'x6', 3,000lb.+ blocks in another wall.) I used my Komatsu to pick them up with a chain and my wife guided them into position. This partial wall is full height (2 blocks; 4 feet), but it will not be finished until spring due to no concrete being ordered during the winter months, thus no truck cleanouts.
11-19-17 Retaining wall east of house -  resized.jpg
A face on shot of the wall (I "touched" the moisture barrier with a tooth on the bucket . . . gotta fix that.) . . .
11-19-17 Retaining wall east of house b - resized.jpg
And here is a shot of the east side of the house showing the semi-completed shop/garage. My east shop wall is the unfinished area. It should be complete today. This photo shows the drive through bay. (The retaining wall shown above is to the left in this picture.)
11-21-17 East Garage Wall - resized.jpg
The west side shot of the garage is shown in one of my previous posts.

The day after Thanksgiving, my wife and I are headed down to spend a week staining 8" white pine for the vaulted ceilings of the kitchen/dining/living room and master bedroom. I think the total to stain is 1720 square feet. Thankfully, we have a complete guest bath up and running and another toilet available in the upper level master bath.

Speaking of Thanksgiving, we have a lot to be thankful for. (Mechanicalmagic would beat me up at this point for purposefully ending the previous sentence with a preposition. I'm just sayin' . . .) Specifically, to this forum, I am thankful for all you have taught me. I imagine my feeling of gratitude is shared by many finding satisfaction in learning (in my case, very imperfectly) some of the skills of this discipline.

--Bill
You are what you write.
neanderman

Post by neanderman »

Happy Thanksgiving, Bill ( and everyone else reading.)
Ed

LeBlond Dual Drive, 15x30
US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618
Files, snips and cold chisels

Proud denizen of the former "Machine Tool Capitol of the World"
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

WOW Bill!
I wouldn't know what to do with all that space!
(OK....yes I would!)

Nice! And, A Happy Thanksgiving to you and everyone!

:)
Other Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

All--

Watch this super exciting video of my wife and I sanding and staining a bunch of boards!!!

Actually, there may be something of interest in this video, so watch it . . .

https://youtu.be/PxqMdihwqaY

--Bill
You are what you write.