CDCO Machinery Corporation

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Oldengineer

CDCO Machinery Corporation

Post by Oldengineer »

I haven't seem any critiques of CDCO Machinery Corporation in a long time. So, I'm going start another thread hoping to recieve input from other members.
I am considering purchasing their 5C collett chuck, 33 piece 5C collet set, and an unfinished backing plate, 1 1/2-8 tpi, to upgrade my 12-inch Atlas lathe to use this size collet.
I have had good experiences with their AXA tool post holders. I use a Phase II 100 tool post and the CDCO holders all fit. I had ordered 12 and no problems were encountered.
In the past there have been posts about dealing with returns as well as pieces that were defective. What has been done to remedy those problems?

Please let me know. Thank you.
SteveM

Re: CDCO Machinery Corporation

Post by SteveM »

I've only ordered the AXA toolholders, and while you can tell the quality isn't as good as Phase II, they are usable and I can have more toolholders per dollar.

If you have to keep swapping bits in your toolholders because you don't have enough of them, then it's not quick change.

Steve
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

I like the tool holders, and the other junk I've bought was as good as Shars. Last batch of tool holders came from tools4cheap.com.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
pmoose

Post by pmoose »

Ive bought quite a few tools from them but i stopped recently, 4 months ago. When i purchased a few items including a replacement gear for my x-axis auto feed for a mill, they shipped everything but the gear. I called and called and sent numerous emails to no avail. Everytime i called, I got an asian guy who told me in broken english to call back later. The tools I bought were quality, I just cant stand it that I spend my hard earned money and never get the item.
mcostello

Post by mcostello »

I bought their 5c collet closer and it runs out 2-3 thousand and is out of parallel 3-4 thou at 2 inches out. Cleaned out internals got about a thimble full of cast iron chips. Rebored closer nose and out of parallel problem is only slightly better. Money wasted.
TimTheGrim

Post by TimTheGrim »

Oldengineer, I have the CDCO 5C chuck and I like it. For home shop use it serves it's purpose well enough.
I first had it on my Rockwell 10x24 and now I use it on my Enco 13x40 .
I sold the Rockwell, but I still have the 1-1/2 x 8 backing plate that's all set up for that 5C chuck. I have no use for it.

If you decide to get the chuck, post here and then send me a PM with info and I'll mail it out to you in a flat rate box.
Illigitimi non Carborundum
'96 Birmingham mill, Enco 13x40 GH and Craftsman 6x18 lathes, Reid 2C surface grinder. Duro Bandsaw and lots of tooling from 30+ years in the machining trades and 15+ years in refinery units. Now retired
Oldengineer

Post by Oldengineer »

TimTheGrim,

Many thanks for the offer for the backing plate. I believe that I will err on the side of caution with the 5C chuck. While the price they are asking is not a King's ransom, I need, at least, .0005 accuracy.

I am going to explore other options account I do produce many very small parts for my hobby.

Again, thanks for the offer!
stevec

Post by stevec »

Oldengineer, I would say, expecting at least a half thou. accuracy on an Atlas 12" lathe, would be a stretch for even the most expensive and highest accuracy 5C collet set-up, let alone a CDCO one.
Oldengineer

Post by Oldengineer »

stevec,

Thanks for the input. When I said , "I need...", maybe I should have said, "hope for". CDCO's claim of .0004 TIR for the chuck may be possible, but I know that the QC of unknown Chinese manufacturers can be hit-and-miss at best. Using a chuck with a machined backing plate can introduce errors into this equation, too.

I have some #2 MT collets for my Clausing 8520 milling machine that I use with a #3 to #2 MT adapter in my Atlas. I use an older Starrett 711D indicator that I have tested using gage blocks (Starrett grade 2 steel) and I have indicated .0008 to .001 TIR... occasionally; but not consistently.

Thanks again!
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Oldengineer wrote:I use an older Starrett 711D indicator that I have tested using gage blocks (Starrett grade 2 steel) and I have indicated .0008 to .001 TIR... occasionally; but not consistently.
Part of your problem may be the indicator you're using. While they are capable of making reasonable readings, they are notorious for yielding erroneous readings, too. I have owned one since 1958, but it sits chiefly unused, as it doesn't provide reliable readings, in spite of having been sent back to Starrett for service.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
stevec

Post by stevec »

Oldengineer, Just curious but what sort of readings do you get for the spindle & it's taper bore on the Atlas 12"?
Oldengineer

Post by Oldengineer »

stevec,

I just measured the spindle run-out on the OD of the shoulder behind the threaded nose and just inside the bore, I got .0003 at both points. Once again, I was using my Starrett 711-D and could not get much farther behind the chamfer of the spindle bore. I repositioned the dial indicator twice, and the reading didn't change by half the width of the indicator hand.