Should you patent your product or idea?

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Don Bailey

Should you patent your product or idea?

Post by Don Bailey »

What are the pros and cons of a patent? What kind of patents are there? What is the cost of a patent? What kind of protection do I receive when I get a patent?
We cover all of these topics in our discussion with patent attorney Mike Schaldenbrand of Remarck Law Group.
You may be surprised at some of the answers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhlPcjTSzTc

Dave_C

Re: Should you patent your product or idea?

Post by Dave_C »

Don,

Interesting video: The $10,000 range seems to be right on for getting a simple patent and then comes the thought, can I afford to defend my patent against foreign manufacturers who scan the US patent office daily?

Nope, nope and no!

The small individual inventor doesn't have a chance!

Dave C.
I learn something new every day! Problem is I forget two.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

I used to work as an IP attorney. One of the big problems with a patent is that it doesn't physically prevent people from infringing. It just opens them to lawsuits if they do. Then you have to pay your attorneys. I would guess that $350 per hour would be a modest rate for this type of work now.

If you let someone with deep pockets manufacture and market the product, it will be in their interest to defend the patent.

It's very easy to get a weak patent that will not stand up in court, so you need an attorney who knows what he's doing. It's not the PTO's job to make sure your patent is strong. They just want your fees. You don't want to pay an attorney $50,000 and then lose.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
Bill_Cook

Post by Bill_Cook »

From another angle, simply having been granted a practical patent looks good on a resume.

On the other hand, there are some silly patents granted. A while back, I understand, some university students illustrated this by receiving a patent on swinging side to side on a child's swing set. Don't know if home owner's insurance covers patent infringement.
BC

If there was only one way to do each machining job, the smell of sulphurized cutting oil smoke would have fewer fond memories.
refinery mike

Post by refinery mike »

Do not wast your time and money. The USA has become so utterly corrupt that a patent is worthless to the inventor. Now to crooked lawyers they are quite profitable. Did you know that there is a virtual army of lawyers at the patent office who's job it is to steel any good ideas. And steel they will. On the other hand if you spend mega bucks and get the pattent, then when you go to try to sell your idea they will look you right in the eye and tell you. Why should i pay you for this idea, I can wait 7 years and then just steel it. I have known three different people who have invented and patented products that are on the market right now. And none of them have made one penny off that pattent. On the other hand if you intend to manufacture this product on your own. Consider getting a patent applied for. It is realatively cheap, and may keep someone from suing you. proving the date that you came up with the idea. Otherwise they could take your idea patent it and sue you for making your own product.
Torch

Post by Torch »

Or the potential purchasers form a patent pool, wherein they can all use any patent purchased by any other pool member. Eliminates bidding wars and keeps prices down.