Kurt mounted sideways on mill

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

BadDog

Re: Kurt mounted sideways on mill

Post by BadDog »

Actually, as I recall Q1 is +/+ (top, right). Also supported here.

Use of the word "toward" in this case may be somewhat regional. He wasn't indicating a direction, but rather the side closest to the operator.

If the vise is in the typical orientation, then yes, that would put the origin on the moving jaw. Which means it would not be consistent from part to part and the edge would need to be "found" for each different part. This is only a problem if you would like to keep the same coordinate system without having to refind the origin in one or more axis. Again, in normal location for the vise, you would be working in quadrant 3 or 4, depending on where you put the horizontal end stop. Then, you could take any part that fits the setup, and not need to find the origin again. However, until you get used to working in that quadrant, it's easy to make mistakes. With the vise sideways as SK shows in this thread, then "near left" as origin is fixed and can be used for multiple parts.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

Glenn and Russ--

Then my practice of establishing 0,0 on the "left, towards the operator" is in effect using the movable jaw as 0,0? If so, I see the problem and will modify my future locating.

I built the scissor knurl using Q3. It bothered my brain that all my x ordinates were negative. (Old teachers never die, they just continue to become more irrelevant as we strive to eliminate every effort at true education in the US.)

--Bill
You are what you write.
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

BadDog wrote:With the vise sideways as SK shows in this thread, then "near left" as origin is fixed and can be used for multiple parts.
But you will be turning the Y handwheel backwards, so how do you read the dial in a meaningful manner? (Obviously, I don't use a DRO)

When I draw a part, I use whatever "quadrant" where moving from 0,0 (stationary jaw) will require clockwise rotation of the handwheels so that the dials are useful.
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

Glenn--

I was wrong about being wrong. :)

With the vise mounted parallel to the x axis, I establish 0,0 on the left and the side nearest the operator. That means the fixed jaw is the immovable reference.

--Bill
You are what you write.
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

I guess I am not understanding where you stand when operating a milling machine.

I stand facing the machine, so "on the left and the side nearest the operator" puts 0,0 on the left side of the movable jaw.
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

Glenn--

Yes. I agree. We stand in the same place. It looks like I succeeded in confusing both you and me.

My 0,0 is on the corner of the workpiece next to the fixed jaw. That puts everything in Quadrant I.

--Bill
You are what you write.
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

seal killer wrote:Glenn--

Yes. I agree. We stand in the same place. It looks like I succeeded in confusing both you and me.

My 0,0 is on the corner of the workpiece next to the fixed jaw. That puts everything in Quadrant I.

--Bill
Doesn't that put the work in quadrant IV? My mill has a DRO, so I do not even recall which way the dial increments, and my Y-axis does not even have a dial... Maybe that is the confusion?
Attachments
quads.png
Standards are so important that everyone must have their own...
To measure is to know - Lord Kelvin
Disclaimer: I'm just a guy with a few machines...
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

seal killer wrote:Glenn--

No. The fixed jaw is on the left in my current setup with the vise mounted parallel to the x axis.

I establish 0,0 on the workpiece as (left side, side closest to operator). Tell me if this is bad practice.

Thanks.

--Bill
Bad practice is a bit harsh.
If I were to make that setup, the vise would be mounted such that when I used an edge finder, the dials would read in a positive direction. That would mandate that the stop used would be nearest the column of the machine, as opposed to being near the front of the machine. The handle for the vise would be located to the right, so one would not use the moveable jaw as a reference.

A good rule of thumb when machining is to keep all movements in one direction (backlash), although there are exceptions (window work, for an example). By using the upper left hand corner of a part as the reference point, that's exactly what results.

It's a shame that those who got CNC operational didn't apply the same logic. Because I'm a dinosaur, my reference point is as I described. I program my CNC using - numbers for the Y axis. Old habits die hard, it seems, as it's far easier for me to remember to use the minus figure than it is to change the way I view machining.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

Harold and Glenn--

Ok. Here is a picture of how the vise is mounted. I believe it is as both of you would mount the vise and as you can see, it is the way I mounted it and am working with it.

My 0,0 is on the left side of the workpiece and towards the operator (upper left hand corner). If this is not the best practice, please tell me how to improve it.

The only thing I can see "wrong" with my procedure after having read the thoughts hereon, is that I am milling in the positive y direction. This makes MY 0,0 meaningless unless, of course, I compensated for backlash after positioning the cutter . . . which I didn't. I cheated by having a scribe mark back there on the workpiece, towards the column.

But, I'll be a bit better for this!

Thanks!

--Bill
ps Note the 4th clamp in the lower picture. It was added prior to machining. I just didn't feel right without it.
Attachments
10-28-15 Sideways Kurt-low res.jpg
11-02-15 Vise low res.jpg
You are what you write.
spro

Post by spro »

I caught this early but understood what you were doing. "X" is left /right by conventional usage, facing the machine. "Y" is front/back. See, different people can't understand and there is a reason for this too. In the Bridgeport manual/s there is clear description of what slide is X and it was Y. So unless we get this right, it becomes confusing.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

Being someone who is not really a machinist, and only know enough to be dangerous.....

I have generally tried to set up, with the vise mounted so the jaws are parallel to the X axis.
X-0, Y-0, would be the left corner of the fixed jaw. That way, any movement from that point, to the right (X) was +, and away from me (Y), was also +....which matched the dials, and would match the direction of travel I required to get to my point(s). Made sense to me.

Not to say I always set up this way, not by any means, but making all the movements +, makes life easier, especially using dials.

When I added my DRO, the way it came, and the 'proper' set-up, was opposite on the Y axis. Backwards from my dial and what I have been doing....and made no sense to me, so I switched it around, so Y+ movement on my DRO matched my dials.
I think that's what Harold is saying.
May not be 'best practice', but we are creatures of habit, and it works for me. I have no concern of CNC either. And....I'm the only one running my machines....so thbbbbt..... :D

I really think it makes no difference, so long as you know where you start, and how you are going to get to where you need to be, accounting for backlash and, and making sure to consider set up and repeatability should it apply. Whatever works for ya.....

Or maybe I'm misunderstanding something here???

Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

spro and Russ and All--

I think we are all (those who've commented) doing it correctly. But, Mauro took some time to explain things I did not know about this in a PM. Perhaps he will share it with us on the forum.

--Bill
You are what you write.