Lubricating a Dunlap drill press

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

PeteH

Lubricating a Dunlap drill press

Post by PeteH »

I have an elderly Dunlap benchtop drill press. (Photo attached, I hope.) Generally I'd prefer it to any of the cheesy imports I've seen. But the spindle has been a little sticky lately, and I can't figure out how to lubricate it.

The quill is no problem... the splines are exposed in the pulley hub, and I just need to run oil down them.

On the quill, up at the upper end of its travel, there's a small (1/8" or smaller) hole. I've squirted oil in there and it hasn't come back out, so I assume it's going somewhere. But the spindle is still a bit hard to turn.

Suggestions ?

Thanks... PeteH
Attachments
Dunlap Drill Press - Web.JPG
Pete in NJ
SteveM

Re: Lubricating a Dunlap drill press

Post by SteveM »

Try going to sears.com, finding the parts link and entering the model number (should be 2-3 digits, a dot and then 5 digits).

Surprisingly, they have parts diagrams for a lot of their old power tools.

The parts diagram may show you something about it.

Another thing is to search on vintagemachinery.org for a manual. It might have lubrication instructions.

It is possible that there is congealed oil / grease in there that would need to be cleaned out.

Steve
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

BINGO !! Thanks, Steve ! Vintagemachinery.com had the manual for essentially the same tool with a one-digit difference in the number -- mine is 103.23621, and the manual is for 103.23620 -- physical appearance is exactly the same, and the manual had the lube directions. I think I hit all the oil-holes, but as you pointed out, they could be gummed up. I'll let Kroil work on it for a few days, and then I may just run it with no load for a while to warm things up, before putting in some more lube... this time, probably one of those teflon-loaded synthetics.

Again, thanks. -PeteH
Pete in NJ
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

PeteH wrote:... essentially the same tool with a one-digit difference in the number -- mine is 103.23621, and the manual is for 103.23620 -- physical appearance is exactly the same
Typically, a one-digit change like that was only for some minor part change, so it's probably 99.44% the same machine (and if you get the 99.44% reference, then you are, in fact, old).

BTW, bit of trivia:

The digits before the dot indicates the manufacturer. In our case, your drill was made by King Seely.

You can see the complete list of Sears suppliers here:
http://vintagemachinery.org/craftsman/m ... urers.aspx

Steve
Russ Hanscom

Post by Russ Hanscom »

Great Sears reference, Thanks Steve.
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

Dunlap was the budget line of machine tools sold by Sears. They were (are) better quality than any of the cheap imports. Delta had a similar budget line of machines under the name, "Homecraft". They too were better than any new, cheap import.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

Mr Ron wrote:Dunlap was the budget line of machine tools sold by Sears. They were (are) better quality than any of the cheap imports. Delta had a similar budget line of machines under the name, "Homecraft". They too were better than any new, cheap import.
As I recall from way back when, the only difference between the Dunlap and Craftsman lines was that the latter had thicker paint and shinier lockwashers. :lol:
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

I recall when I first started driving and working on cars -- around 1960 -- the local Sears store carried both Craftsman and Dunlap wrenches etc. The salesclerk said "the main difference is that the Dunlap tools don't have the "forever warranty" that Craftsman tools have". Considering they were a bit more than half the price, I bought the Dunlaps and used them; I may still have a few of them around. I know I have a Dunlap vernier -- a fractional-inch one -- that I bought back then, that's still in great shape.

Agreed on these old iron horses being better quality than any of the new import junk. This drill press weighs about 70 pounds without the motor (a big Craftsman-branded 1/2 horsepower), and is tight as a drum. I fully expect my grandkids will use it -- assuming any of them have the interest.
Pete in NJ