DYKEM Aersol Layout Fluid - 3 Strikes and You Are Out ???

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

dgoddard

DYKEM Aersol Layout Fluid - 3 Strikes and You Are Out ???

Post by dgoddard »

Am I particularly unlucky or does Dykem have a problem.
Dykem layout fluid in the aerosol cans goes on nice and easy, uniformly, and quick. But am I particularly unlucky on these last 3 cans.

The can was on the bench near where I was working and got nudged off and fell about 40 inches to the concrete floor. The top of the can is a cold worked dome of sheet metal. The domed portion between, the rim around the can, and the rim around the nozzle, impacted on the concrete and it cracked ! That was the first time ever impact for the nearly full can. The blue dye proceeded to spew from the crack and either the can bounced or it was just jet propelled. It got me, it got anything nearby, and spewed all over the floor.

#2, I ordered 2 cans, one for on the shelf, as areserve, and one to use right away. After a month or so, the shop started smelling of solvent and I could not figure out why. Then when I got near one particular area It was really strong, So, I climbed up on a ladder and as I looked for the source of the odor, I found that the Dykem reserve can had developed a leak at the bottom and had bled out most of its contents on the shelf. After clearing the shelf, cleaning off the things it got on, cleaning off the shelf, I had to repaint the shelf.

#3 Two lessons learned, I now placed the remaining can in a "1 lb plastic coffee can" in case it leaked too, and it added a bit of stability as well as providing a location thoroughly away from the bench edge. A few months later I picked up the can and the plastic coffee can / leak catcher was lightly stuck to the can. Further examination indicated that it was leaking through a very very tiny pin hole about a third of the way up the side of the can, and it was dribbling down the side of the can, and had puddled around the lower rim of the can. At least this time it was in a leak catching secondary containment. :roll:

What Gives ? .......Besides the cans that is :twisted: !

-- Can Dykem not package their stuff in something a bit more durable?
-- Is the stuff corrosive and eating its way through the cans?
-- Has anybody else been having problems like this?

I got the aerosol cans because the stuff in the brush cans does not go on as easily or dry as fast and the "brush can" stuff tends to dry out and become very thick and then chips after it finally dries. Apparantly the stuff thickens and then goes on thick and dries brittle and poorly adheres making ragged scribe line. I do not know what solvent to thin it with because everything I have tried as a thinner only prolongs the drying time. That is why I switched to the aerosol cans.

Is there a better product or better packaged product to buy???
I never met anybody that I couldn't learn something from.
Dave_C

Re: DYKEM Aersol Layout Fluid - 3 Strikes and You Are Out ??

Post by Dave_C »

Don,

So do you look like the blue smurf now? :lol:

BTW: I changed my screen name from DrDavo to Dave_C since I am retired now!

Can't shed any light on the can issue only to say it might be a bad run of cans.

Dave C.
I learn something new every day! Problem is I forget two.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

I have no experience with the spray cans, but the brush on type is more than acceptable, even when it loses solvent to evaporation. Just add acetone, which does not retard drying, and offers the option of an even thinner coating, one that doesn't chip. I've followed what I preach, and would still be using the small amount I had left from a purchase of more than 30 years ago, but I dropped the small (glass) bottle in which it was stored.

Acetone removes spilled Dykem without issue, assuming it's not on a substrate that is also dissolved by acetone. Repainting, as you did, is most likely the only solution.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
choprboy

Post by choprboy »

Sounds like my luck, but with the brush-on jars. About a year after purchase with occasional use I went to use it and found it had all leaked out the bottom and covered my shelf/material below it. Bought another bottle, a couple months later dropped it on the floor and the plastic side spilt open. Bought a third bottle, a couple months later and the bottom is sticky/gooey, developed a pin hole leak in the mold seam.

I have been using Sharpie brand layout fluid for the last few months.... hasn't leaked yet, though a few "applicators" have dried out/been lost/gone to the trash because a new one works better.
jcfx

Post by jcfx »

I've never had cans that flimsy before but it seems like spray cans
nowadays seem to leak more than what they used to.
I did have a can of Dykem spray go flat, I wound up puncturing the can and
pouring the fluid in a jar to use with a brush, I've avoided the spray cans of Dykem since then.

The plastic that Dykem uses for their brush on layout seems more brittle than most it seems.
f350ca

Post by f350ca »

I had a spray can loose its pressure as well. Did the same thing, punctured it and poured it in a jar. Have had to add acetone a couple of times to thin it.

Greg
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

I use the felt tip bottles

http://www.zoro.com/dykem-layout-fluid- ... lsrc=aw.ds

Haven't had any problems with them.
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

GlennW wrote:I use the felt tip bottles
Good for playing bingo, especially when the bingo cards are sheet metal.

Steve
Rich_Carlstedt

Post by Rich_Carlstedt »

I had a aerosol can of Dykem .......once
It leaked all over when the bottom of the can corroded.
It was a few years old, but what I did notice was that the can was rusted
and the rust perforated the can and leaked all over .
Having worked in the can industry many moons ago, most all cans are/were made
with Tinplate. Tin coatings prevent rusting and protect the container. They also come in various thicknesses $$$
Cans not made with tinplate (AKA black iron) need a coating in and out to prevent corrosion .
Perhaps Dykem has a low tin coating or no coating at all.
I know I was looking for acid production in the same vicinity as the failure and found none
It sure looked like it however. Make sure you have no acids or wet cell batteries stored near the can

like others, I shifted to felt tip marker
Rich
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

Had a plastic brush bottle and it split circumferentially after the top was screwed on. Just thought it was my bad luck.
I've been using the magnum sized black marker with good success but it is hard to see on CRS with the black scale.
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
pete

Post by pete »

I bought a quart can of the Dykem layout fluid. In a home shop that was way too much and the non pressurised can corroded as well. Didn't know about the acetone thining so thanks Harold. But given the expense and waste of how much I've actually used against how much I've thrown away I no longer use it. Find the fattest tipped blue or black sharpie pen you can and just use that. Yeah it takes longer to dry, but if it's a home shop situation then go do something else while it's drying. The pens never seem to dry out, there clean and easy to use, plus cheap. What's not to like. For large layouts then yeah the Dykem spray cans would make sense.

I can only imagine the mess those leaking cans made. For myself I think I can live without that experience.

Pete
hammermill

Post by hammermill »

on the field trucks every spray can gets a coat of heavey clear lacquer to coat the can and seal against rust.