Need A Little Help With Drill I.D.

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: Harold_V, websterz, GlennW

McKay59AB

Re: Need A Little Help With Drill I.D.

Post by McKay59AB » Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:03 pm

Thanks to everyone for their input. I am certainly going to try and sharpen these step drills myself before I seek out someone. Would like to learn to do it myself. Lots to learn.

refinery mike

Re: Need A Little Help With Drill I.D.

Post by refinery mike » Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:25 pm

I do not know where i was but they had several different types of step drills. A common one is used to drill a countersink for socket head cap screws. They are able to origionate and complete the hole. If you are using a drill to counterbore an existing hole then you do not want the pilot to cut at all so it will have no side relief. They had other bits that were stepped and meant to drill precise holes. You drill a pilot hole in location and then the center bit (a little bigger than the pilot hole) keeps the larger bit on center and with on wobble. or cutting an out of round hole. I have a few or these and they do produce a really nice hole.