DuMont 3R ratcheting arbor press

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

pmoose

DuMont 3R ratcheting arbor press

Post by pmoose »

Hello,
Does anyone on this forum own a DuMont 3R ratcheting arbor press? I bought one on an online auction for $160 but I have to drive 4 hrs one way to pick it up and don't want to pull a trailor if I don't have too. Does anybody that owns one of these presses have an idea of how much it weighs and the overall dimensions? I've found conflicting info just google searching the dimensions and weight.
rrnut-2

Re: DuMont 3R ratcheting arbor press

Post by rrnut-2 »

Damned Heavy!!! :D

Nice find for $160, am jealous. I really can't tell you the weight, because the foundry that I worked at, we would use a forklift
to move them. I would guess 800 - 1000 lbs.

Also, add your worldly location. You never know, somebody in your area might be able to help you move it.

Jim B
pmoose

Post by pmoose »

The press is in Franklin, Virginia. I thought a friend and myself could man-handle the press on a trailor or truck bed but if it weighs that much, I don't think that's an option :shock: Might have to pay for the riggers this time....
Last edited by pmoose on Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rrnut-2

Post by rrnut-2 »

A rigger would be a good choice, at least to get it loaded onto the trailer. Those type of presses tend to be a little top heavy to move
by hand.

Jim B
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

A rigger will cost less than the emergency room visit.

Words of wisdom from occasional poster Jim Rozen.

Steve
pete

Post by pete »

I dunno, a rigger would probably charge more than buying one of those folding engine hoists. You can even rent them sometimes.

Pete
choprboy

Post by choprboy »

Which model exactly? I was looking foundly at a 3ton not too far away (don;t remember if it was badge a DuMont or not) that was roughly 250lbs or so as I recall. Vintage Machinery spec page says the Greenard 3-3/4 5ton bench model is 516lbs shipping weight, that was apparently rebadged as DuMont 3R Arbor Press.
pmoose

Post by pmoose »

The model is 3R but i dont know anything else besides that. From pics ive seen, the press has an actual dumont badge on it and it comes with the original 4 leg stand and press plate. The riggers it is.....i definately dont want 500+ lbs of solid cast iron falling on me :)
choprboy

Post by choprboy »

The stand was another 117lbs shipping weight... so yeah probably 500-600lbs total.
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

There's often loading gear at the places that have this sort of thing. A forklift or an overhead hoist. you should check with the seller if they can load for you.
I've bought some heavy objects and rented a trailer to bring them home; but of course you need something suitable at the delivery location too.

Manhandling; not with things that heavy, no no no!
spro

Post by spro »

Isn't if the table section removed, it could be loaded on its side? Then is erecting it by careful hoisting into the shop.
10 Wheeler Rob

Post by 10 Wheeler Rob »

When I bought my 3 ton press with a cast iron stand, I sprung for a fold up engine hoist. It's been useful for a lot of things since. Few years ago was only 100 bucks on sale.

Rob