KB Electronics VFD on Toolmaster 1B Mill?

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

SABToolmaster

KB Electronics VFD on Toolmaster 1B Mill?

Post by SABToolmaster »

I'm looking at putting a VFD on my old Toolmaster mill. I stumbled across KB electronics VFD's that are prepackaged in a finned NEMA enclosure with liquid tight ports. It looks like this could eliminate a lot of custom enclosure, contactors, and wiring runs.

Has anybody out there used one of these?
Will my old pancake motor survive VFD control?

Regards,
Steve

shorttrackhack

Re: KB Electronics VFD on Toolmaster 1B Mill?

Post by shorttrackhack »

I have used many KB drives. These are simple to set up, and and the Nema 4X case makes it even easier to do the installation. From my own experience, I prefer the toggle switch model over the membrane keypad. I just installed a KBMA series drive on a vertical bandsaw, after my old (2001) KBAC stopped following commands from the control circuit. Feel free to PM me if I can be of assistance.
GK1918

Post by GK1918 »

Will my pancake motor survive? All I can say is my Toolmaster also a Fairbanks pancake motor
running strong with a simple static phase converter plus power feeds and coolant pump all running.
I should think ya good to go....
Bill_Cook

Post by Bill_Cook »

Toolmaster Manual

It's good to know there are others out there. Below is a link to a manual for the 1-A,B,&C Toolmasters. I found it in the public domain after paying too much for a CD. I uploaded the freebe to my Google Drive. There's other stuff related to hiking the local state forest.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... sp=sharing
BC

If there was only one way to do each machining job, the smell of sulphurized cutting oil smoke would have fewer fond memories.
SABToolmaster

Post by SABToolmaster »

Thanks for the feedback. The info and link is much appreciated. I bought my Toolmaster for $100. Completely disassembled, stripped and epoxy painted all components. Made new screws and nuts. Stoned all surfaces and gibs. Re assembled with an Accurite DRO. II really did end up to be a night tight solid little mill. Just added a few more Monoset collets so I should be good to go.

Regards,
Steve