3D Printer From Amazon

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

LarryMck

3D Printer From Amazon

Post by LarryMck »

So my 12 year old has been bugging me for a 3D printer for over a year. I said he would have to learn Tubo Cad before I would consider it. Long story short I got him one for Christmas from Amazon as a kit. It has been running non stop ever since. It took him about 12-15 hours to put it together and get it working. In my opinion this is far more educational than some video cam system witch I refuse to allow in the house.

My be a useful tool for sand casting molds?

I attached a couple of photos.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
SB Heavy 10 and Jet 14" Lathe, Bridgeport and Van Norman #12 Mill
WesHowe

Re: 3D Printer From Amazon

Post by WesHowe »

Keith Rucker has a video on Youtube of making a sand mold for casting brass using a 3D printed plastic model someone made for him. While the casting failed to be satisfactory due to inclusions (from insufficient venting) the shape came out fine.

I have hopes of one day getting brave enough to try casting some parts, but for now I just need to improve my skills at removing material.
STRR

Re: 3D Printer From Amazon

Post by STRR »

We're looking at 3D lost wax casting patterns. You can change the filament and print in a wax like material that will perform well as the base for investment casting.

My only problem will be finding a printer that will print as large as I am going to need. Most likely will have to go to a commercial operation for the printing.

Thanks,
Terry