Jose Rivera (False alarm - Jose is alive and well!)

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

SteveM

Jose Rivera (False alarm - Jose is alive and well!)

Post by SteveM »

At Torch's suggestion, I am editing my post:
FALSE ALARM - Jose Rivera is alive and well!

I was looking at some inspection gauges, and my mind went to thinking of Jose Rivera, one of our board members, because he worked in inspection late in his career.

I noticed that he hasn't posted in a couple of years, so I checked, and sure enough, he passed away last April.
http://www.tributes.com/condolences/vie ... 91#7535738

Jose was our unofficial welcoming committee, as he graciously welcomed anyone on their first post (a job later picked up by the late Ken572).

Steve
Last edited by SteveM on Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Carm

Re: Jose Rivera

Post by Carm »

I'm sorry to hear that. He was quite the wizard and had affability to boot.
Sometimes message boards are too ethereal. These events remind us of the true nature of things.
Thanks for the post Steve.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

Wow. Really sorry to see that.

I guess this is a hazard of boards that appeal to older people.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
spro

Post by spro »

Gosh this is sad.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

It is sad. Jose had charge of his two very young granddaughters, due to his daughter's premature death. He had also lost his wife to cancer not too long ago.

Jose had left the Chaski board long before his demise. He had become obsessed with the right wing of politics and was unable to have a discussion without reflecting on his views. Sad, because he was a very nice individual who appears to have lost his way.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Rich_Carlstedt

Post by Rich_Carlstedt »

RIP Jose !
I enjoyed your posts.
Unfortunately our meeting in Vallejo is postponed indefinitely.

Rich

Thank You Steve for the follow up
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

It's too bad politics got to him. I have had my issues with that, to say the least. This current election season is turning out to be a roller coaster of extraordinary irresponsibility and violence, so it's a great provocation to everyone.

I am getting much more peace about this area of life than I had in the past. It's a big relief, not feeling like you're responsible for the course of the world and the nation. When you get too caught up in politics, you start to feel like your words and actions are way more important and influential than they really are.

I still think the outlook is very dim for America, but I manage not to make America's welfare an index of my own happiness. I'm glad I won't live long enough to see too much of our future.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
Carm

Post by Carm »

Mr.Graham

The founders of this country often had the same views, ".... the outlook is very dim for America". You're on the right track "not to make America's welfare an index of my own happiness".
We go through this life thinking the world is falling apart. It is much more robust than we imagine!
Whatever Jose's views we can be happy he rubbed elbows with us.
spro

Post by spro »

That which could have been a later eulogy has taken a turn. Jose is and was a friend and fellow machinist and that lives in my heart. If he had been a flaming leftie, I wouldn't mention it. I've been trying to find his actual death certificate, obituary.
I will bet he didn't die at the age of 57.5 years by conservatism.
spro

Post by spro »

There is something about living in a bubble. You have your stuff and a general sense of when you leave this plane of existence. There is more to this and requirement to cut through the media trash to see what is happening. The "right wing" has never been an enemy. It was a necessary response, to hold things in balance. If you choose not to see beyond yourself, to what is happening, you don't know the left has excavated your foundation.
RSG

Post by RSG »

Sad to hear! Hard to believe it's been almost two years too as I seem to recall reading a post (or possibly a thread) of his only about a year ago......could have been more.
Vision is not seeing things as they are, but as they will be.
pete

Post by pete »

SteveM,
My thanks for posting this up. I'd emailed with Jose many times although not for quite some time now. Almost a year and were just hearing of it now. That's a real shame. RIP Jose, you were a good man.

Pete