Tapping Fluids

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

revrnd

Tapping Fluids

Post by revrnd »

I have an issue/question & looking for a possible substitute.

I'm currently using Monroe Cool Tool II tapping fluid. I buy it in the 1 pint container & then use these 8 oz bottles:

http://www.harborfreight.com/pack-of-3- ... 66170.html

to apply it. My issue is that white "flakes/chunks" (for lack of a better term) start to accumulate in the bottom of the dispensing bottle. Over time this increases. As a result when trying to apply it the hole gets plugged. What is causing this & is there a remedy? My shop is temperature controlled and never gets below the mid 50s when I'm not using it.

I don't recall what fluid we used @ work or if the same thing happened. Mind you I was probably going thru more fluid @ the time & the fluid didn't get a chance to age or sit for long periods of time.

Any suggestions for a tapping fluid that would not do this or is this typical? Looking @ the Travers & KBC catalogs, I can get Tapmatic, Tap Magic & Relton (Rapid Tap) fluids in Canada. I'd rather not deal w/ any cross border ordering as our federal regs may prevent the entry of some chemicals.

TIA
warmstrong1955

Re: Tapping Fluids

Post by warmstrong1955 »

Probably the problem is with the Horror Freight bottle.

Acrylic plastics don't hold up well against some solvents. Not sure what is in the Monroe oil, but more than likely something that can dissolve the bottle, or at least degrade it.

Try a polyethylene bottle. I have several I bought at McMaster Carr years ago, and have had no problems.
I use Tap-Magic, and Rapid tap, among others.

Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

I have used Dawn dish soap bottles with good success but I haven't put any Cool Tool II in one.

And

While we are on the subject of Cool Tool II, the last bottle I bought came from ENCO. When I opened it, the fluid was the color and texture of a mango smoothie. Not at all what I expected, which I thought would be a "clear-ish' free running liquid. I shake it up periodically and it is clearing up a mite. Did I get a bad bottle or is that what it is like these days of 'improved' products?

--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
Gary Armitstead

Post by Gary Armitstead »

Tap Magic
Gary Armitstead
Burbank, CA
Member LALS since 1980
Member Goleta Valley Railroad Club 1980-1993
STRR

Post by STRR »

Tapmatic Aqua Cut LPS

Absolutely the best I have ever seen.

+2 on the bottle degradation. Just had a brand new oil can melt on me. Good thing I had put it in a Tupperware bowl - Just in Case.

Terry
revrnd

Post by revrnd »

I'll try another bottle, before switching fluids.
RSG

Post by RSG »

I use SafeTap for steel and A-9 for alloys. Both work well and can be purchased at Busy Bee....
Vision is not seeing things as they are, but as they will be.
spro

Post by spro »

#3 on Tap Magic. The steel cans with narrow spout didn't clog.
Rick

Post by Rick »

We use a good bit of the tap magic for aluminum at work. It has a very strong smell and the fumes irritate my eyes, but we have a trick to make it much more pleasant to use. Mix it half and half with marvel mystery oil. Performance doesn't suffer and the smell becomes pleasent.
Rick

“We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Unknown
Murphy's Law: " If it can go wrong it will"
O-Tool's Corollary: "Murphy was entirely too optimistic"
revrnd

Post by revrnd »

I should've added this, I'm using the Cool Tool for ferrous metals. For aluminum I'm using Anchorlube. I've been using it since I was an apprentice & never had any issues w/ it. Easily sourced in my area.
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

As I've posted before, I use the chem-lab "wash down" bottles (in 4 and 8 oz sizes) from Enco for just about everything. Always set up-right, no seams to leak, no plunger to leak, and the tip can be cut to desired size from needle like stream (or tiny drops) to 1/8" stream. And I've yet to find any solvent that touches them in any way. I've got water, WD40, alcohol, a variety of different weight mineral oils, penetrating oil, Vactra #2, tapmagic, tapmatic, (and I think something else that escapes me for the moment) in them, some for years, and no problems at all. The only problem I've had is in labeling them. Nothing lasts long, and my best solution has been to put a sticker on the bottle and wrap it tightly with shipping tape. The tape holds well enough to itself even with a little solvent, so it may slide up and down a bit on the most used messy bottles, but generally it does stay ON the bottle.

Oh, and one other problem I have with them is that they make effective barometers. They have a tube that goes to the bottom wo you can empty a bottle with it still held upright. But the bottle is air tight, and when the barometric pressure drops, the fluid starts climbing the tube and can run out to make a mess. So I usually crack the top for a vent when done with use and putting back in it's storage tray.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
Mid Day Machining

Post by Mid Day Machining »

Most of the parts i tap are aluminum and for that I use Relton A9.

I bought a gallon of it about 5 years ago for around $50.00 that I'm still using, but about 4 years ago, I walked into a supplier that had 2 gallons of it on a clearance table for $19.00 each. I'll give you 3 guesses where those are now, and the first 2 guesses won't count.
You can buy good parts, or you can buy cheap parts, but you can't buy good cheap parts.