Looking for a microscope

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Mr Ron

Looking for a microscope

Post by Mr Ron »

Because I work with small parts on both my lathe and mill, I would like to find a digital camera that can focus close-up on a small part while it is being machined and display the image on a monitor. I see such a device on the TV show, "Bones", but don't want to pay for a "scientific" grade instrument.. I've seen automobile rear view cameras, but I don't know what the resolution is or how close it can focus. Even Harbor Freight has a similar device, but again, I don't know if it would serve my purpose. I guess what I'm looking for is a CCTV device that can focus close up.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
liveaboard

Re: Looking for a microscope

Post by liveaboard »

Search "digital microscope" on ebay.
I imagine it might be difficult to keep it focused on the work.

I hope you'll share the video if it works.
Magicniner

Post by Magicniner »

If you look for a "digital microscope camera" you'll find cameras that replace the eye piece on any microscope at a range of prices and qualities, you can shop separately for a second hand industrial scope which suits your need and then pick up a camera that fits it and your budget.
I use a digital microscope camera on my inspection microscope to put the image up on a big screen, it's great!

- Nick
hammermill

Post by hammermill »

i have one of the digital scopes that commect to a usb port good for the cost and if i bust it oh well!

had it for a couple years now
oldvan

Post by oldvan »

I bought one of these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-0MP-HD-Indust ... 0829512224

I mounted it to a Starret height gauge I got for $9.00 at HGR and hooked it to a 22" LCD monitor.
Microscope IMG_20160322_022250.jpg
Now I can see tiny things!
Monitor IMG_20160322_022100.jpg
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

that's cool!
But are you able to solder those tiny components?
I made some simple electronic things [adjustable voltage regulators for automotive alternators], and I chose large push-through parts to get around the problem.
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

The business where I worked had similar problems with small parts. They solved it by using Titan Tool Supply stereo microscopes. https://titantoolsupply.com/Stereo-Micr ... tereoscope. Some assemblers were welding .005 x .06 ribbon to electrodes and others were spot welding .008 dia wire to lamp filaments. The Titans have a wide field of view and a long focal length and one can buy auxiliary lenses to bump the standard 10x up to 30x or more. 10 x should be more than adequate though. The other issue we had was mounting the microscope so that the machine vibration did not blur the field of view. A solid easily adjusted mount is a must.

We also went to the Cleveland Sight Center to investigate some of the optical equipment that was available for the seeing impaired people. Long focal length low magnification cameras are available but again the mounting is an issue. And when the assemblers tried it in the spot welding stations they could not get used to looking to the side at the picture while working in the front with their hands. The camera we tried was not stereo and it was difficult to get accurate positioning of the parts.

The company stayed with the Titans, but they are pricey. Perhaps you could find one on e-bay.

I have a 3x magnifying lamp on my lathe and I don't use it for much because it is hard to adjust and vibrates, and I haven't taken the time to fix that. But if it were mounted properly it would be a low cost alternative to the above Titan.
I also have a Celestron Digital Microscope PRO, but the field of view is small, the focal length is very short and the entire thing is not something I'd recommend. There are other higher cost alternatives that have to be better.

--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

Thanks for your input. I was thinking of using a camera that plugs into a PC and a lens setup. My lathe is free of vibration.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
TomB

Post by TomB »

I've only needed a magnifying image a couple of times but when I did I used my 'See-Snake'. It a standard tool for viewing inside and around things with a 3' flexible viewing probe. Costs less than $100 and is handy for lots of things. In most cases the fact that the image is reversed is bad but for a machining I just used an added mirror. Since its liquid proof the coolant did not bother it.
neanderman

Post by neanderman »

How about an old camera phone?
Ed

LeBlond Dual Drive, 15x30
US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618
Files, snips and cold chisels

Proud denizen of the former "Machine Tool Capitol of the World"
oldvan

Post by oldvan »

liveaboard wrote:that's cool!
But are you able to solder those tiny components?
Yes, I can. Soldering resistors and capacitors down to 0602 and SMD ICs is no problem for me so far. I routinely do prototyping on microcontroller devices at that size. Liquid flux is my friend there!
Sunset Machine

Post by Sunset Machine »

I just bought a "Plugable USB Digital Microscope" through Amazon for $35. It comes with a stand or handheld. 250X power max. I've attached an image of an old dime, and a close up of the last two digits in the date -- "17". Pretty neat, and cheap!
Attachments
index.jpeg
index.jpeg (8.92 KiB) Viewed 5748 times
2016-03-05-155332.jpg
2016-03-05-155630.jpg