How to Store Superglue?

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

SteveHGraham

How to Store Superglue?

Post by SteveHGraham »

I damaged my thumbnail this morning, and I decided to fix it with superglue. Problem: I don't have any. I always have to throw it out long before I use it up. That got me thinking.

On DVD's and in Youtube videos, I see people use superglue a lot. They seem to keep big containers on hand, and they squirt the glue out whenever they need it.

That is nothing like my experience.

I buy superglue in tiny expensive vials. If I don't use it for two weeks, the glue turns into a wad of plastic, and I have to throw it out.

How do you store superglue and keep it handy?
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
Gary Armitstead

Re: How to Store Superglue?

Post by Gary Armitstead »

When I was using Super Glue back in my old model railroading days, we stored the bottles in the refrigerator. Seemed to work then.
Gary Armitstead
Burbank, CA
Member LALS since 1980
Member Goleta Valley Railroad Club 1980-1993
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

I am Googling (which I should have done first), and I learned some stuff.

Cyanoacrylate cures in the presence of water. That means you have to keep it dry. This is why the helpful tip from Gary works. Refrigerators are dryer than the rest of the house, at least if you live in my area.

Loctite claims it has a special bottle which slows down the curing process, and they put up a video.

I found another neat tip: put the glue in a jar of rice. The great thing about this is that the rice keeps the glue dry without cooling it. If you use a fridge, water can condense on the glue container when you take it out, and then you have a problem unless you wait for the container to warm up and dry. I also learned that you can put the glue in a plastic bag in the fridge, so any condensation that forms while it warms up will be on the bag, not the bottle.

I'm thinking maybe the answer is to get the Loctite glue and put it in a jar of rice in the garage. That way I won't have to go into the house and deal with the fridge. I can get a spare container and leave it unopened in case the one in the rice fails.
mklotz

Post by mklotz »

Buy Loctite brand glues. They seem to know how to make resealable containers that really work. Occasionally, I'll have to run a needle down the applicator spout to get the flow started but I almost never pick up a solidified container. They also make a penetrating super glue (Loctite 420) that will flow into already assembled joints. Good stuff.

I don't keep the Loctite in the refrigerator but I've done that with other super glues in the past and it definitely helps.

Written before I saw your last post.
Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
http://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

I'm with Marv on the Loctite brand.

I just used some that's been on my shelf for at least 5 years.
And, I opened it when I got it.

I remember getting it, cause the bottle I had, brand X or something, no longer contained glue.....at least, in liquid form.

:) Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
hammermill

Post by hammermill »

another aproach is keep the small tubes in a pill bottle and give it a squirt of co2 or nitrogen before putting the lid back
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

Great tips RE Loctite. I just bought two bottles of Gorilla super glue, however.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

Oh well.....

But you're in great shape if you break your gorilla.

:)
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

Collect the silica desiccant from things you buy. Toss it all in a zip lock, and add you open superglue tubes. Generally seems to work, but sometimes I still throw away and open new.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

I learned a lot about silica beads back before I gave up Cuban cigars.

They come in different humidity grades. They can be used to make wet things dry or dry things wet. You can get 70% beads to keep stogies at the correct humidity. Supposedly if they get too wet, you can dry them in the oven. Not very useful if you're trying to keep cigars from drying out, but probably helpful if you're storing glue. I can't tell you if it's true, since I have never had any reason to make silica beads drier. I always had to add water to them.

Wikipedia says a freezer below 0 F will keep the glue usable practically forever.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

My thumb is all happy again.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

We've kept it in the fridge since the days of the guy in the hard hat hanging from a beam and that's always worked.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXZv2KZKCCo

I have a tube that has a spring-loaded pin in the cap that lets the glue out when you press the tip against something. It's Krazy Glue brand. Occasionally, I have to clean up buildup on the outside of the tip, but it's never clogged on me.

Steve