Narrowing lathe & mill decision-

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

RegisG

Narrowing lathe & mill decision-

Post by RegisG »

I do not have much experience machining and that was long ago. I'm buying a mill and lathe for making mostly small things such as accessories for the target shooting that I do and small projects for friends.
Originally I was going to get a combo like Smithy but, decided that if I was unhappy with one part, I would be stuck. Therefore I'll squeeze 2 machines in my small garage.

I've narrowed my choices down based on my budget, available space, and lots of reading.
Mill will either be G0759 or PM-25VM
Lathe will be G0752 or PM-1030
I'm still deciding which of these machines to order.

Appreciate any tips you can offer. Good or bad experiences welcome.
Regis
RSG

Re: Narrowing lathe & mill decision-

Post by RSG »

Based on your choices I'd say the Precision Matthews for both.

The mill is much more robust and rigidity is important. As for the lathe the PM has power cross feed, very handy.
Vision is not seeing things as they are, but as they will be.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

I got a mill from PM, and I was not able to get him to replace a part that arrived damaged.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

Regis--

I have some Grizzly stuff, a lathe, mill and two saws. I know nothing about the Grizzly equipment you are considering, but I know quite a bit about Grizzly support: It is excellent. They've sent me parts that I have broken, even for my mill which they discontinued years ago. I bought one of the first 1" band saws they offered. It had the wrong controller in it and the manual had an incorrect wiring diagram for the coolant pump. Both the correct controller and wiring diagram were sent to me immediately. I've also had a lot of phone technical support from them on various issues, mostly to fix my mistakes or ignorance. (The latter is very hard to overcome.)

Good luck with your decision.

--Bill
You are what you write.
RegisG

Post by RegisG »

Bill,
That's encouraging.
Thanks
Regis

seal killer wrote:Regis--

I have some Grizzly stuff, a lathe, mill and two saws. I know nothing about the Grizzly equipment you are considering, but I know quite a bit about Grizzly support: It is excellent. They've sent me parts that I have broken, even for my mill which they discontinued years ago. I bought one of the first 1" band saws they offered. It had the wrong controller in it and the manual had an incorrect wiring diagram for the coolant pump. Both the correct controller and wiring diagram were sent to me immediately. I've also had a lot of phone technical support from them on various issues, mostly to fix my mistakes or ignorance. (The latter is very hard to overcome.)

Good luck with your decision.

--Bill
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Grizzly sells decent equipment. I have one of their big round column bench mills now for 20 years and still am very happy with it. Even though the mill is discontinued, their customer service and parts counters still are fully versed in the machine and very helpful.

They import machines from long term, trusted Taiwanese partners/vendors, who generally have better and more consistent production and QC methods than mainland China vendors. Also, grizzly does stand behind their product line pretty well. I think I also remember Grizzly has some sort of direct oversight at the Taiwan factories whether their lathes and mills are made- to insure quality. I went up to their HQ store in Bellingham yesterday and looked at all their mills and lathes on display. Must say I was newly impressed with the apparent quality of their smaller mills and lathes - bigger ones also, but my eyes tend to glass over when the price tag shows 5 figures.

My big (and only) disappointment with grizzly is that I have gotten several really rotten batchs of HSS import end mills from them last year, and that finished my love affair with cheap Asian tooling. However I think their machines are in a whole different class of worksmenship.
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

Glenn--

I agree with everything you said. I hosed the spindle on my old mill--a G3616--and worked with Grizzly to remove the quill and send it to them. They installed a new one in the quill and promptly returned it. Who would have ever thought they would have a spindle for a mill discontinued years ago, PLUS the expertise to still work on it? Additionally, they coaxed me through both the quill removal process and the reinstallation process.

A Grizzly G0709 lathe sits in my shop. It is a rock-solid and rigid machine with far more capabilities than me.

I have their great Taiwanese 1" band saw. It sits beside the little 1/2" saw I bought from them many years ago . . . which, I after I figured out how to get the blade aligned and tracking is a dream come true for small stuff.

After quite a good luck run with their drill bits and end mills, I quit buying them a few years ago because they turned to almost-crap. All of my stuff is now USA.

--Bill
You are what you write.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

Between the two, Grizzly all the way. They may not be helpful, but they probably will, and they won't disappear.
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Good to here about their 1" band saw. Iam coming around to the idea of buying one, so maybe will go get one of these...

Gpb
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
NP317

Post by NP317 »

After MUCH research, I will be purchasing from Grizzly (in May) their
South Bend milling machine SB1027F, and
Engine Lathe G0709 14-40,
plus accessories.
I first visited the original Grizzly in Bellingham WA in the late 1980s, and have been pleased with their customer service ever since.
RN.
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

NP317--

I have the G0709 and am very happy with it. I know nothing about the SB1027F other than I am very envious of you.

You did some great research. Think about starting a new topic that lead you to these decisions and documenting your delivery and setup. Everyone likes pictures of delivery and setup!

--Bill
You are what you write.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

That mill is gorgeous. I think it's safe to say you will be thrilled with it, as long as you don't have to rob a bank.

I think 14" lathes are great. Big enough to get it done, but you won't break your back changing chucks.

I hope you have a great time with these new machines.