Anyone heard of DD17 nickel chromium molybdenum steel?

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

AAA

Anyone heard of DD17 nickel chromium molybdenum steel?

Post by AAA »

Got an old drawing (1950's) and wanting to find out a modern equivalent for this steel.
Harold_V

Re: Anyone heard of DD17 nickel chromium molybdenum steel?

Post by Harold_V »

It sounds a great deal like 4340, but without knowing the chemistry, that may not be true.

The DD designation makes me wonder if, maybe, this is a Department of Defense spec?

How you been, AAA! It's been a long time.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
AAA

Post by AAA »

Harold_V wrote:It sounds a great deal like 4340, but without knowing the chemistry, that may not be true.

The DD designation makes me wonder if, maybe, this is a Department of Defense spec?

How you been, AAA! It's been a long time.

Harold
G'day mate. Long time indeed! Unfortunately, haven't had much time for forums lately, I've been busier than a one armed paper boy!
Yes, this is an Australian Defence Department drawing. Going through the metal charts I, 4140, 4340, EN25 is what I was looking at too.
Never even crossed my mind that DD might be Defence (that's how they spell it there) Department, so I'll follow up on that.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

I took a look in some metallurgy books I have.....nothin' on DD17

I think you can cross 4140 off your list though.....no nickel in it.

43xx or 86xx I think cover most of the various chrome-moly-nickel alloys, but I'm more familiar with the run of the mill chrome molys w/o nickel.....like 4130, 4140 etc.

Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.