Need Glue to replace Liquid Nails

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

ctwo

Need Glue to replace Liquid Nails

Post by ctwo »

I was looking for some glue to bond the sole of my boot. After some searching, I decided to avoid shoe goo and thought I had found Liquid Nails would be a good substitute because of several favorable shoe repair reviews, until I read recent feedback on the current product. It seems they changed their formula to a water-based, environmentally friendly formula that no longer actually glues things together. Everyone is mad about it.
Standards are so important that everyone must have their own...
To measure is to know - Lord Kelvin
Disclaimer: I'm just a guy with a few machines...
liveaboard

Re: Need Glue to replace Liquid Nails

Post by liveaboard »

I use sikaflex polyurethane adhesive. It comes in big tubes like silicone.
Many boots, many repairs.
Sometimes what fails is one of the layers of material in the sole, degrading into a gooey or crumbly substance. At that point I give it up and begin the grueling search for a new pair of boots to fit my square flat feet.

Best to avoid Gortex; Some years ago I got a pair of Gortex lined boots, now nothing else will do. It's made my whole workboot problem much worse.
Magicniner

Post by Magicniner »

liveaboard wrote:I use sikaflex polyurethane adhesive.
+1
When my snow boots cracked after a few years abuse I patched them with Sikaflex and they are still in service, I've also used it to fix fibreglass wings (fenders?) to cars with better results than bolts, grout shower tiles and slate tiled floors, repair cracked motorcycle inlet manifold rubber.
I wouldn't like to contemplate life without Polyurethane Adhesive sealant ;-)

- Nick
Metalman

Post by Metalman »

Gorilla glue worked on a pair of Timberland boots.
Ernie F.
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

The white sikaflex is not good as grouting; it discolors quickly from fungus.
I had to scrape it all out and replace it with fungus resistant white 'sanitary' silicone. And that sikaflex was really hard to get out.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

ctwo wrote:It seems they changed their formula to a water-based, environmentally friendly formula that no longer actually glues things together. Everyone is mad about it.
Nobody seems to take into account the environmental impact of all the stuff we have to throw out because we can't glue it back together again.

I got into an argument with a Ford engineer over the aluminum oil pan in the Windstar. I asked if there was a steel insert for the plug. She said they can't put one in because it would affect the recylcability. I said the owner wasn't going to care about the recylability when they have to spend $300 on a new oil pan because the threads stripped out.

Steve
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

SteveM wrote: Nobody seems to take into account the environmental impact of all the stuff we have to throw out because we can't glue it back together again.
Steve
Sad.....but we entered the "Disposable Era" a long time ago.......

Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

The boots are hardly worn, just the glue joint failed. I'll give it a shot and if it doesn't hold, I'll toss them in the landfill with the glue and buy a new pair.
Standards are so important that everyone must have their own...
To measure is to know - Lord Kelvin
Disclaimer: I'm just a guy with a few machines...
Magicniner

Post by Magicniner »

liveaboard wrote:The white sikaflex is not good as grouting; it discolors quickly from fungus.
I had to scrape it all out and replace it with fungus resistant white 'sanitary' silicone. And that sikaflex was really hard to get out.
I think I actually used cream Tiger Seal first time around and it lasted 10 years before fungus took hold.
If you visit a craft store many sell sets of small wood carving tools, the rounded one is perfect for cutting out rubbery materials between tiles to an adequate depth for re-grouting ;-)

- Nick
spro

Post by spro »

I did a repair recently which is holding. The uppers were in good shape but the stitching tore out around the front half of the sole. Mr. floppy shoe, half gait for a block. I did scrub the mating sections with a wire brush and let it dry. The sole section had pronounced grid (for cushioning) . I used Goop Marine contact cement since that was on hand. Being somewhat familiar with contact cement, some rely on mass which takes a long time to harden. I slathered both surfaces, mated them and then separated for some minutes while installing an insert. The insert was 1" thick wood which was shaped to fit inside( mostly the same profile as some scrap). I used a few c-clamps around it.
Lew Hartswick

Post by Lew Hartswick »

The "Liquid Nails Extreme Heavy Duty" version and the Locktite brand "Power Grab" both seem to
good for their intended use. I did a comparison test while putting some wood trim in a camping trailer.
Wood to fiberglass and wood to wood. So far both are holding OK. If anyone is interested I'll try
to remember to post any followup after the next hot summer. :-)
...lew...
spro

Post by spro »

I was trying to achieve plastic welding at some points and a long term contact at others. it is similar to PVC bonding. I may put a stitch or three around the nose. Days without frontiers..