parting inserts

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

SteveM

parting inserts

Post by SteveM »

A while ago, I got a good deal on some GTN-2 inserts and a holder.

The inserts parted great; I was able to part aluminum without resorting to back gear.

Only problem I had was that the inserts could part so fast that the holder couldn't take it an I snapped of the bottom. Got another one, so I'm still using it, but running low on inserts now.

Thinking what else might be the insert to go with for parting. The GTN inserts are pretty old technology.

Looking for something where inserts are cheap and plentiful on ebay and with a stouter toolholder.

This would be on an Atlas, so something positive rake.

Steve
earlgo

Re: parting inserts

Post by earlgo »

I have no suggestions for you.
But I know how hard it is to part with an Atlas... I have been repairing mine for several years instead of replacing it.
:lol:
--earlgo
Sorry, I couldn't help myself even though I waited overnight.
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
warmstrong1955

Re: parting inserts

Post by warmstrong1955 »

I bought a Hertel TN-2 kit from Enco. Came with a block, blade & 10 MGTN-2 inserts.

I bought some more inserts on fleaBay a few years ago. Can't tell them apart from the Hertels that came with my kit, by looking or performance.
Don't know the brand, but made in USA. Other inserts I have bought from these guys have been good as well.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GTN-2-STYLE-CUT ... 3ca799d26d

I use 'em for aluminum too. Just parted a bunch of 1-1/2" 6061T6 round.

That's about all I can tell ya!

Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.