Looking to upgrade my drill bits

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

BrooklynBravest

Re: Looking to upgrade my drill bits

Post by BrooklynBravest »

Which is crazy because everything is done by CNC which should never make an error ;(
Stinson108-1

Post by Stinson108-1 »

If you are going to hand sharpen twist drills, you should have a Drill Gauge. It's a "Z" shaped tool with a 118 degree angle on one end, and a 135 degree angle on the other. I spent 18 years with National Twist Drill/Standard Tool. In all of my career, I have only found three people who could hand grind a drill accurately. There have been plenty who said they could, and boasted about how well they cut. But when I inspect their work, the angles are never correct, the lips will be off, they cannot split the point or thin the web. When inspecting the holes they drill, they are always oversized, undersized, or not round. For the best use of your time and money, I would not try to hand sharpen a drill with a diameter less than 1/2 inch, they are just too cheep to buy good ones. If you do not want to pay for the cobalt drills, look for NAS-907 in high speed steel. Try not to let yourself get sucked into the mediocrity of today's "quick and cheap" style of building. Accuracy is still the most to be proud of.

Best Regards,
Jack
BrooklynBravest

At my side job (of my numerous jobs) I just sit at a computer doing nothing all day unless in the super rare circumstance someone actually calls 911 out here.

So I will probably just sit here tomorrow and run the entire set through the drill doctor. Once sharpened they work wonderful.
curtis cutter

Post by curtis cutter »

BrooklynBravest wrote:At my side job (of my numerous jobs) I just sit at a computer doing nothing all day unless in the super rare circumstance someone actually calls 911 out here.

So I will probably just sit here tomorrow and run the entire set through the drill doctor. Once sharpened they work wonderful.
And then the rest of your crew will see you doing it and they will bring in their dull bits. Next the chief will stop by with his dull bits and when you are done with his he will decide it is inappropriate to do this at the station and you will then have to find another project. And the cycle continues.
Gregg
Just let go of it, it will eventually unplug itself.
BrooklynBravest

The crew consists of me, myself and I. So no issues there...

I am beyond fed up with this. I don't know if I should call enco or what.

I'm trying to use this god forsaken drill doctor 750x, and this thing is either a piece of crap or I am doing something wrong. Im about 5 minutes from driving my truck over it.

Anyone who has one of these shed some light? It says 20 turns to sharpen a 3/8 + bit. In reality it takes about 100. And then the splitting doesn't line up with or won't go deep enough to the center of the bit to split the point.

I've been at this for 4 hours and I was able to half sharpen 6 bits... And I will never buy from PTD again. A few of the bits had visible imperfections in the grind.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Hmmmm. Can't help but wonder if, maybe, those drills were a collection of rejects, judging from the description of imperfections. That might explain the "good deal" from Enco.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

I had a DD750 that I used for some years, and had generally good results from it, though it could be a bit fiddly getting the collet alignment and tension "just right". Sometimes, for seemingly unpredictable reasons it would produce non-functional points. I just chalked it up to less the perfect collets combined with my own potential lack of consistency. There used to be a poster here who had a DD750 and described good results up to some point in time when it became non-acceptable, and neither new/rebuild parts nor working with tech support (Darex) could get it working again. I've seen others who were satisfied, and others that were VERY dissatisfied. I eventually found a great deal on an SRD-80 that is worlds superior to the DD in every way. Fast reliable and consistent setups produce good points every time. Also easy and consistent (as opposed to DD where splitting is a complete black-art game of chance) web thinning. I can't say enough good, and the only bad is that finding them what I would consider affordable is basically impossible, my great deal was a huge aberration from the norm.

Regarding PTD, that has been my preferred brand in general, and many of them (singles or index) came from Enco. If I have a bad bit, I haven't noticed it yet. Very satisfied. I've also got a lot of other US/Japanese/German/? bits that have all proven quite acceptable. Not sure what you got from PTD/Enco that wasn't good, but my experience has been entirely a good one.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
Magicniner

Post by Magicniner »

I just upgraded my drill bits ;-)

Made in Switzerland, 0.5mm increments plus common metric tapping sizes, size gauge integrated into the case, beautiful split points, multiples of smaller sizes, in a nice box with price averaging 90p per drill bit!

- Nick