Chip Welding

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

ctwo

Chip Welding

Post by ctwo »

0.08" 2-flute HSS cutter (RIP)
3k RPM
single passes 20 thou deep
6ipm
cutting dry

I'm having this melted aluminum stuck in the groove. These seem like such light cuts, so what can I improve? I want to use a smaller cutter too.
Attachments
au-slag-20160514_174458.jpg
Standards are so important that everyone must have their own...
To measure is to know - Lord Kelvin
Disclaimer: I'm just a guy with a few machines...
GlennW

Re: Chip Welding

Post by GlennW »

Flood coolant
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

I could consider something like cool mist. Maybe just air? I was wondering if the mill might have been dull. Are more aggressive means really necessary for such light work? I do remember someone mentioning to use 4-flute mill for strength.

I never had so much trouble with aluminum on my manual mill, just on this CNC. Of course I am doing different kinds of things...
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

ctwo wrote:0.08" 2-flute HSS cutter (RIP)
3k RPM
single passes 20 thou deep
6ipm
cutting dry

I'm having this melted aluminum stuck in the groove. These seem like such light cuts, so what can I improve? I want to use a smaller cutter too.

Blink! Blink!
Can you help me understand why that mess looks black?
3 k rpm isn't all that fast for such a small cutter, especially in aluminum. If you have the ability, crank it up to around 10,000.
Are you running the spindle backwards? No, I'm not trying to be rude. Unless the cutter has issues (including chip welding), I can't imagine why it would build up as it has.

I'm of the opinion you are suffering from low speed and chip welding. Cutting dry isn't a good idea with aluminum, especially if it's not 2024 or 7075, each in a hardened condition. Even 6061-T6 likes to chip weld, especially when being machined dry. Consider keeping the cut wet with kerosene, or even WD-40. It can be brush applied with excellent results.

Edit: Lose the idea of using four flutes in aluminum.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

ctwo wrote: I was wondering if the mill might have been dull.
Buy a new end mill so you know it's sharp, and use some sort of fluid.

If you are trying to use used end mills that isn't the way to go.

A can of WD-40 would probably be the easiest to try.
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

The black is just a result of the camera on highly reflective material.

Chip load was only 0.001" and the first few passes worked great, so it must have been fine chips building up in the pocket. All my end mills are used, so that could have contributed too.

I'd like to cut out 1/4" high letters all the way through 1/16" aluminum in one pass with a small cutter (0.04"). That's probably not going to happen on my Bridgeport. I can crank it up to 4200 RPM though.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

I use tap magic for cutting fluid, apply with a brush and that pretty much gets rid of my aluminum chip welding issues.

Steve
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

ctwo--

I cut aluminum as fast as my mill will turn. With a 3/4" end mill, that is about 600 SFM. I use a LOT of WD40. No chip welding. Although I used to be a victim of chip welding before I cranked that baby up.

Two flute, for sure.

--Bill
You are what you write.
Magicniner

Post by Magicniner »

Using an occasional squirt of WD40 or paraffin for cutting lube and air to clear chips & cool the job will reduce your problems, I run 2mm 2 flute in Aluminium at 6k to 7k but I prefer single flute at double the speed,

- Nick
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

ctwo wrote:I'd like to cut out 1/4" high letters all the way through 1/16" aluminum in one pass with a small cutter (0.04"). That's probably not going to happen on my Bridgeport. I can crank it up to 4200 RPM though.
Not "probably". It isn't going to happen, not under any circumstance. Expecting an end mill to take a full cut, depth of which is beyond it's diameter, isn't reasonable.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Magicniner

Post by Magicniner »

Speed & Feed calculations required, that will provide a reality check.
A spindle speeder or a secondary high speed spindle is extremely useful for this kind of work,

- Nick
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

I went to a 0.05" carbide cutter that is sharp and it went much better. I think the reality is that my machine is going to take 0.001" steps and does not have a 10k spindle. I have thought of making a knuckle for the other side of the ram and installing one of those Chinese integrated 10k+ spindles.

Harold, maybe I've watched too much youtube... https://youtu.be/L5R2s9uRgOY?t=19