Ajax industries?

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

danny42984

Ajax industries?

Post by danny42984 »

I found a good price on a AXA toolpost on the "Ajax Industries" website but Ive never heard of them.Looks like they may sell on ebay too but that could be a copycat for all I know. Anyone know if they (Ajax Industries) are safe to order from, shipping times etc? I had planned on ordering from CDCO but I have read a lot of negative feeback on them. Thanks!
BrooklynBravest

Re: Ajax industries?

Post by BrooklynBravest »

I haven't heard of them but I had no issues with my CDCO wedge type. Love it.
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

They have been selling Aloris products on eBay for years. I looked at them when I was looking for a BXA tool post and honestly can't remember if I bought it from them or not, but I believe I did. It's been quite a while.

They have over 14,000 sales on eBay with a 100% positive feedback rating, which should tell you something...
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
Happycamper

Post by Happycamper »

I've bought from them.....can't remember what it was (it's a gray hair thing) but I did not have any issues with the item or the delivery. I have them in my list of suppliers and would buy from them again.
mcostello

Post by mcostello »

Bought a Gator 4 jaw chuck through them. The wrong chuck wrench was shipped, took 3-4 calls to get it sorted. I guess no harm, no foul. Chuck seems excellent.
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

I very much prefer them to their direct competitor Shars, I'll never buy anything from them again. I ordered a metric thread gauge from Shars along with some other small items I don't even remember. Not only did I receive a standard thread gauge, but it was VERY poorly marked and just complete junk. I had trouble getting anyone on the phone, couldn't understand the first guy at all, which apparently was grounds to be angry at me based on his tone. The next one I talked to was a girl who was also very rude. She all but called me a liar, said they shipped what I ordered, and that if I didn't want it I would have to ship it back to them for a refund. For a thread gauge! Anyway, the guy at CDCO can be a bit difficult if there are problems, but I've got literally dozens of the CDCO CXA blocks and they are an excellent value. I don't recall ever buying anything else there, but I have been happy with the blocks. The only mild complaint is that the tolerances are looser and you never know from one block to the next where the handle is going to tighten up, and on certain crowded cuts I've had that present problems with the handle hitting the tail stock.

That said, I would personally suggest you pony up for the better fit-n-finish of the Phase II wedge tool post. Unlike the blocks, the post is always in use and a little extra investment there pays off very well. I've had several and they are a very substantial improvement over CDCO/Shars posts. And while the pistons were very nice, in hard interrupted cuts they vibrate loose leading to broken tooling. So for all but the lightest lathes I would say also save your pocket change and get the wedge. It is probably telling that the larger posts are available only in wedge, but I wouldn't even go piston on the AX(A) size. The PII sets are often on sale at Enco, and give you a nice selection of basic blocks of better than bargain basement quality for your main tools, then extend with cheap blocks until you are satisfied. Over time I eventually upgraded to a name brand Aloris CXA post, and it's clearly nicer than the PII, though not in any practical way I can identify. The same is not true for the no-name posts I've used. Like I said, I've bought several of the PII kits, and I would do it again without hesitation.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

I'll second BadDog's comments.

I started with a Phase II piston, had a chance to "upgrade" to a wedge, but it was a no-name. BIG mistake. Wend back to my piston and sold the wedge. Got a REAL upgrade to a Phase II wedge and it's great.

If you don't have enough toolholders, then it's not quick change. I've picked up some Phase II and even some Aloris (including a nice MT2 holder, a very useful 5C toolholder and a gang toolholder), but the best thing I did was to buy a pile of toolholders from CDCO. I almost never change bits now.

The only thing I notice with the CDCO toolholders is that the handle closes to different locations, indicating inconsistencies in the dovetail width, but nothing I can't live without.

If I needed to have tenths repeatability, I would be all Aloris, but for what I do, this works for me.

Oh, just remember to get yourself a box of replacement allen screws for the toolholders. The ones in the Phase II toolholders are made of cheese and the ones in the CDCO holders are made of butter. You can actually feel the metal yielding as you tighten them down.

Steve
danny42984

Post by danny42984 »

Thanks for you guys taking the time to respond with the great info!