Tormach Superfly cutter on 1HP bench mill?

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

higgite

Re: Tormach Superfly cutter on 1HP bench mill?

Post by higgite »

pete, it actually hadn't occurred to me to check Z-axis tram. I guess my newbyness is showing. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll look into that.

So, now I have another project. I need to start a list. You guys are killing me.

Tom
pete

Post by pete »

LOL, so it's finally starting to sink in that if you stick with it you'll never be fully finished buying tooling. But it is possible to build a quite accurate cylindrical square if you own a WELL ADJUSTED lathe that's capable of turning true end to end. There's lots of Youtube videos showing how to go about it.No it won't be hardened and ground, but if you can get it to less than a thou taper end to end it's a handy tool to have.

Machine tool alignment gets a lot less attention that it probably should. After a good micrometer and set of calipers buying a repeatable dial indicator in .001 reading and a dial test indicator at 10ths or .0001 really should be in everyone's tool box. There's a lot more to checking a machine than just a simple tram on the head. If you don't check then you can't know where the inaccuracy's are and it's then impossible to adjust or compensate for them. Don't assume any machine tool is correct in even brand new condition. I got severely burned on a new Seig C6 lathe that must have been built by someone with the worlds largest hang over. :-(
NP317

Post by NP317 »

As Pete said: "Machine tool alignment gets a lot less attention than it probably should."
With that in mind, you can understand why I spent 3 hours yesterday leveling my new 14-40 lathe!
The first hour was spent re-calibrating my machinist's level. What a pain! But worth the effort.
Then adjusting 6 leveling screw under the lathe presented challenges.

And not yet being able to bend my new bionic knee past 120 degrees made getting to the floor and back up even more fun.
All told, the effort was worthwhile, as I know what the baseline condition of the new lathe is.
Now to enjoy some machining, after I wire it up and install the DRO.
~RN