File cleaning

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

stevec

File cleaning

Post by stevec »

A while ago I read (somewhere) about cleaning files using a vinegar bath. I tried it out using pickling vinegar (slightly stronger than regular).
I did notice a slight cleaning effect but, even though I had "pre-cleaned" the files with a file card I was not impressed with the "non-removal" of the metal (mostly aluminum) in most cases.

Today, after completing a small (hah!) project, I tried cleaning (de-pinning) some files on the wire wheel of one of my grinders.
I had gone over them with the file card but it didn't seem aggressive enough or the wires of the file card were of a too large diameter ?

The wire wheel did a GREAT! job, but now I wonder if the wire wheel damaged the files.
I would think that the files would be harder that the bristles of the wire wheel but I'd like some comments and opinions from anyone interested in commenting.
Steve
GlennW

Re: File cleaning

Post by GlennW »

I tape a piece of aluminum sheet to a scraper and push the pinings right out.

The aluminum forms to the tooth pattern and pushes dirt and all out.

The wire wheel may dull the file.
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

To prevent pinning in the first place, rub chalk on the file.

Steve
f350ca

Post by f350ca »

There was a container of File Sharpener at the local hardware, been there for years so he pretty much gave it to me. Think it Phosphoric acid, it actually seams to work. The file isn't like new after a soak, but better than dull.
I use a piece of flattened copper pipe pushed across the cut of the file to clean out aluminum, slow but works.

Greg
rudd

Post by rudd »

Block of hardwood will work too.
Go try your file out. I bet you are not going to be happy.
jpfalt

Post by jpfalt »

Your first observation was correct. A wire wheel will take the sharp edges on the teeth right off. The file teeth may be harder, but run enough metal over them and they still wear down. I don't usually let my files get loaded enough to cause a problem. I get out the pins as soon as I notice them. Usually I use a piece of hardwood, but for really stubborn pins, I use a scribe point down the gullet of the tooth like a phonograph needle.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

If one is familiar with friction sawing, the idea of using a wire wheel on a file won't make much sense. It most likely has pretty much destroyed the teeth. Take a look at them with some magnification. I expect they will be well rounded.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
stevec

Post by stevec »

Harold_V wrote:If one is familiar with friction sawing, the idea of using a wire wheel on a file won't make much sense. It most likely has pretty much destroyed the teeth. Take a look at them with some magnification. I expect they will be well rounded.

Harold
I'm not familiar with "friction sawing" ( or maybe I am but just don't know it). I would have thought that file teeth would be much harder than the wires of a wire wheel.
I may have to do a "before and after destructive test" on a new file to see if the teeth are rounded by the wire wheel.

Thanks for all your responses.

Steve
juiceclone

Post by juiceclone »

A wire wheel is the same as a file card, the long held proper way to clear file teeth. When used in the same manner, with the "grain" , no damage should occur. I have been doing it for 20 plus years, and am still using those same files.
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

stevec:
Look at topic: http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/vie ... 33&start=0
There was a discussion of cleaning files, and I successfully used the white vinegar treatment on a couple of files. It takes a couple of days for the vinegar to make a significant improvement, not just a few hours.

--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
scmods

Post by scmods »

Daer All,

I like to read old technology books, and while reading "The new Chatecism of Electricity", I noticed something you may find interesting.

The subject was sharpening files, and it actually seemed to have actual scientific basis rather than the "old adage" sort of stuff you usually find.

The process used dilute nitric acid in an electrolytic bath. The files would be hung teeth up in the bath, and the current would liberate gasses from the metal as it was etched away. The interesting thing was that these gasses would form a film of bubbles at the tooth edge, before disengaging. This bubble film shielded the underlying metal from the etching action right at the cutting edge of the tooth, while the remainder of the tooth profile was deepened slightly. Interesting concept.

I have no idea if this actually works, but these books were a serious exposition of the technology of the day, and files may have been either considerably more expensive or difficult to procure than they are currently. The text goes on to suggest that arrangements be made to collect files 200-300 at a time and batch process to keep these enormously underrated cutting tools in prime condition for use in the facility (a factory, I presume).

Along the same line, dilute caustic (NaOH) solution, especially when hot affects steel very little, but dissolves aluminum very readily. Whenever I would soak castings to remove grease, paint and rust, any aluminum tags would be long gone. Just the Parker-Kaline screws remaining. Possibly has some file cleaning potential.

Hope you find this little aside interesting.

Bill Walck
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

I tried the vinegar thing that erglo linked to.
I took an old file in my 'old file bin', and soaked it for about three days.

Not like new, but it did make it usable again. Good enough for me to jam a handle on it and hang it on the wall with the other files.
I was surprised. I didn't think it would work that well.

I've never used a wire wheel on a file. I use a file card, but the plastic brush only. I very seldom us the wire side of a file card.
I prefer the Glenn aluminum sheet trick.

Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.