Polyurethane Air Hose Unreliable?

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

SteveHGraham

Polyurethane Air Hose Unreliable?

Post by SteveHGraham »

I have a 100' polyurethane air hose which has had two leaks develop in it. The hose gets very little use. I keep it on a reel on my small compressor because it's good for airing up tires in my driveway.

Are these hoses generally useless? I don't know why it would open up twice. I can keep cutting it and putting new hardware on it, but I don't want to keep fooling with it if it's going to blow out over and over.

I was thinking about getting a 3/8" x 100' hybrid hose at Home Depot, but some people say the fittings blow out.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
warmstrong1955

Re: Polyurethane Air Hose Unreliable?

Post by warmstrong1955 »

Go with the red or black rubber.
Hold up better, and more flexible. I have three or four that are 20 years old or better.
I buy 'em with the ends crimped on. Easy enough to crimp or clamp a new end on if you drop a Buick on one of 'em .

I've got some PVC & poly hoses I can't use in the winter. They are more like pipe.

Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

I was hoping to get something light. The small compressor is for stuff like inflating tires, staples, and the blow gun.
hammermill

Post by hammermill »

polyurethane is sensative to uv light. it doesnt take a lot for it to star failing.

red,black or a jacketed cable is a better choicr for the long run
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

I used to buy miles of air & water hose, from 1/4" to 8", when I was working in the mines.
I almost never bought anything but rubber. Some was nylon/fabric reinforced, some was steel.
I tried some polyurethanes for shop use, but the consensus on performance, for multiple reasons, was underwhelming at best.
That was enough to prevent me from buying any more.....it cost substantially less, but overall, it wasn't. Really nasty around welding by the way......

If weight is your primary concern, fine, go with the polyurethane. Home use, a guy could get a lot of use out of it.
Just don't expect it to hold up as well as rubber hoses....or to be as user friendly....something you seem to have already discovered.

Bill
rudd

Post by rudd »

DO NOT buy rubber hose at home depot!!!!!! I'll tell you why I know this so you don't ask. It is made in China. It will last no more than one year before it starts failing. Bubbles in the middle of the hose that pop, fails at the connectors, etc etc.
Last time I bought hose I bought it at NAPA auto parts. Here at least, they sell some hose made in North Carolina. I've had that maybe 4-5 years, and absolutely no issues.
I wouldn't trust any other hose coming out of someplace like HD or Lowes.. just get some good stuff and be done with it. Nothing like going to do a job outside the shop, getting all set up, and the hose fails.

I keep my hose on a cheapy hand operated reel, it makes it easy to just reel the hose up when I am done. I hand coiled hoses at the end of very shift for years, this is better.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

I would think that made in China air hose would be of similar quality to made in China v-belts.
Myself....not interested.
I'll avoid Home Depot for any hose.....

I try to stick with major USA stuff, like Goodyear. (I just got some 1/4" Goodyear from Enco a few months ago.)
I've always done well with auto pats stores, NAPA included. I used to set up accounts with the local guys when starting new jobs.
Important however,to point out you don't want the cheap stuff. Often, they have multiple grades.

Bill
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

Here's something weird. The hose they sell at Harbor Freight is Goodyear.

I am wondering about hybrid hose. It should be better than polyurethane, but maybe less unwieldy than rubber. Maybe it's a good compromise. I have rubber on the big compressor.

I feel funny spending $60 for a hose for a $130 compressor, but I suppose it won't kill me.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

SteveHGraham wrote: I am wondering about hybrid hose. It should be better than polyurethane, but maybe less unwieldy than rubber.
Rubber is unwieldy?

You'll hafta 'splane that one Lucy......

:o
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

You haven't noticed that rubber weighs more than polyurethane?
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

SteveHGraham wrote:You haven't noticed that rubber weighs more than polyurethane?

Well yeah....but I have never had a problem wrestling a 3/8" or 1/2" rubber hose.
If you want to talk about 2" & 3" wire braid, OK.....those are muscle makers to move.

I have had problems with poly & PVC hoses, that take a set and won't lose their coil shape when you try to stretch 'em out.
That's unwieldy. I'm happy with an extra pound or two for the flexibility.

Eat your Wheaties!

:D
Bill
scmods

Post by scmods »

Boys, boys....

Its not a matter of unreliable, unsuitable, etc. All engineered products have strengths and weaknesses, hoses included, as are extension cords. Many of these products trade one strength for another, such as lightness vs. flexibility, and within the range of what would be considered reasonably priced it depends on how many of the strengths meet your requirements and how many weaknesses you are willing to tolerate.

For my applications, both air hoses and cords, the inflexibility of the plastic items is like fingernails on the blackboard, as is tangling in either case. Consequently, rubber is the material of choice in both cases FOR ME. Shop work has enough issues without fighting equipment, and cost is a secondary factor FOR ME.

One thing I will share is how I manage the hose/cord issue. I buy bulk hose and wire and if I have a 100 ft. length, I cut it 33 ft and 67 ft. and have suitable couplings. That way, I am not deploying and recoiling an excessive amount of material to do a small job. Just an observation.

hope this clouds the issue.

Bill Walck