Get the rusty shaft out?

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Sandman north

Get the rusty shaft out?

Post by Sandman north »

I was trying to remove a sleeve .750 ID from .700 shaft about 1foot long has not been off in 12 years and all rusty
I put it in my press 6T or 8T and it would not move then I heated the sleeve really hot It would not move.
Then I remembered what one of my mentors said about something like this, was to quench it.
After quenching it came off easy.

So if you quench it should clamp on the shaft like vice grips you would think.....I think that... but not now as it came off after quenching.

Whats going on here that I do not understand? It was and auger for a snow blower.

Thanks

Sandman
Magicniner

Re: Get the rusty shaft out?

Post by Magicniner »

Sandman north wrote:So if you quench it should clamp on the shaft like vice grips you would think.....
Yes, but only briefly as the outer contracts first, it probably broke up and/or compressed the clag stopping things moving

;-)

- Nick
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

My opinion? It's a little more complicated than to suggest that the quench, alone, is the reason for the release. There's considerable chemistry involved when a rusted item is heated. If that was not the case, it wouldn't change color from brown to black. There's a different state of oxidation involved, which the quench guarantees due to the rapid cooling. I also won't discount the idea that because of the oxidized layer between the two members, the outer one cools faster than the inner one, compressing the layer. When the inner member is cooled, it may shrink away from the outer member enough to yield a little clearance, clearance that was created by compressing the oxide layer by rapid cooling.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

In my experience, when I chuck something up in the press, and it's a non-mover, I add a little heat, evenly, while the parts are still in the press & loaded up.
Usually, once they start moving, they keep moving.
Sometimes not, and I simply reheat, or add more heat, maintaining pressure all the while.

Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

Is rust what's holding it? Can it be immersed? If so, the rust will come off in two hours with electrolysis. A battery charger and baking or washing soda will do that.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

SteveHGraham wrote:Is rust what's holding it? Can it be immersed? If so, the rust will come off in two hours with electrolysis. A battery charger and baking or washing soda will do that.
Electrolysis generally works line-of-sight, so the crud inside the joint is not likely to be removed (although stuff on the outside that might be blocking it will).

On stuff like this, I use my brother's technique:
Heat
Apply penetrant
As it cools, penetrant will get sucked in
Repeat

Let it sit for a while and most of the time, it will free up.

Steve
Sandman north

Post by Sandman north »

Hi everyone like the comments, unfortunately it cannot be immersed its too big. Yes I would believe rust is what is holding it

Like your thoughts Harold, & nick. I too am thinking its a complicated process.

Thanks Sandman
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

Can you mill one side of it, without going thru the sleeve, and then split it?

I've done the same with a grinder....carefully....

Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.