Clue me in on Spanner Wrenches

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

SteveHGraham

Clue me in on Spanner Wrenches

Post by SteveHGraham »

It looks like I'm going to have to rig my CNC lathe up with a slotted disk and two optical sensors so I can do threading. I will have to make a disk with a center hole that fits the around my spindle, with two slots at positions 90 degrees apart. To mount the disk on the spindle, I'll have to take off a couple of nuts that are already on the spindle.

This leads to my inquiry.

The nuts are just thick rings with cavities that apparently receive spanner wrenches, which I do not have. Each ring has four cavities, spaced evenly around the circumference.

What's the best way to prepare for jobs that require this type of wrench? Do I get a set of wrenches? Do I get three or four adjustable wrenches? Help me out here.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
Russ Hanscom

Re: Clue me in on Spanner Wrenches

Post by Russ Hanscom »

Lots of spanners are adjustable to cover a range of diameters. Determine the diameter of your nuts and then look for a spanner that covers the range. You should not need a whole set unless there is an empty drawer in your tool cabinet.

Single size spanners are easily made, if you are so inclined, by bending a strip to the appropriate curvature, drilling for a pin or bending a tab, then welding on a handle.
10KPete

Post by 10KPete »

I used to worry about finding the right sized spanner to fit, but now make my own. For the nose protector on my
10K I grabbed some 1/2 x 1/2 steel, bent the end around a pin the right diameter about 150*, then drilled the
end for the right size pin and cut the handle end off to about the right length.

It took about 30 minutes to make and works perfectly. Oh, if you have a hard dowel pin the right size it won't wear
out soon!

Pete
Just tryin'
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

These nuts are a little weird. The cavities are square. About 1.315" from the bottom of one cavity to the bottom of the one 180 degrees away.
chucketn

Post by chucketn »

I made a set for my 7x lathe. Got a drawing online, and transferred it to a piece of 1 1/2" by 1/4" flat bar, chain drilled the profile and cleaned them up on the mill.
I've seen plans or a write-up somewhere on making an adjustable pin spanner from a pair of slip joint pliers, but I can't find them at the moment. Google pin spanner(not ring spanner, that's Brit for a box end wrench) and you'll get lots of ideas. got any thick walled large bore pipe big enough to fit over your spindle? cut a 1/2" or so slice off, drill for a suitable pin, and cut it in half, making a 'C' shape. Drill and tap for a handle, and Robert is your mother's brother!

Chuck
chucketn

Post by chucketn »

These type
These type
Slip joint pliers isn't the name that I want, either. The ones I mean have groves and can be adjusted for various jaw opening sizes. the plans I saw , the designer drilled each jaw for a pin. I have the plans somewhere, and even bought an extra pair of those pliers at a flea market to make a set.

Chuck
f350ca

Post by f350ca »

I cut them out on the plasma table as required. Think this is the style your looking for.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-4owL ... G_1566.jpg

Greg
Richard_W

Post by Richard_W »

You're looking for a hook spanner, they are for the square slot. A pin spanner is for a nut that has a drilled hole on the OD.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R4 ... r&_sacat=0

Richard W.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

Thanks, Richard. I may give up and order a set. Someone gave me an Amazon gift card, and this looks like a good way to drain it.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

Something like this is a good way to go:

https://www.amazon.com/Williams-WS-474- ... ner+Wrench

I don't have this particular set, and mine are Proto & OTC, but the hinged ones cover a wide size range, for less money.
More often than not, they work fine.
Sometimes, you need a tighter fit, due to a tight or stuck nut, and a fit to size is required.

I've built many like Richard's, but always freehand with a torch. I never had the luxury of plasma table when I needed one.
Nice job Richard!
Mostly I made them for hydraulic cylinders, and up to about 10" in diameter.

I have a few sockets I've made as well, places you can't get a wrench into, like axle spindle nuts.
A little tubing, a little turning, and then some milling.....easy.

Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

Thanks, Warmstrong. That is exactly the set I was thinking of.
Magicniner

Post by Magicniner »

They're called C Spanners on this side of the pond, very useful things as you only need one fairly shallow hole in something round to be able to use one of these on it ;-)