Guitar tuning keys base plate

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

aqualibguitars

Guitar tuning keys base plate

Post by aqualibguitars »

Hello friends.
here again with new post.
Its my dream to build my own tuning keys for guitars which i build myself.
i came across with a workshop which has M1TR machine on which they do their milling job.
the jobber says that he can make the base plate from brass. but needs some drawing which
will be very helpful to him.
can anyone help me in this regard to know the distance between the centre of the worm and gear?
is there any ratio or anything like it? or any drawings will be more helpful
there is VMC too in my vicinity . but it needs 3d model in igs or step files.

waiting for ur help
SteveM

Re: Guitar tuning keys base plate

Post by SteveM »

Do you have the worm and gear already?

I suspect that if you put the two together, measured the distance and added a thou or two for clearance, you would be good.

Steve
aqualibguitars

Post by aqualibguitars »

yes sir i have worm and gear with me. thanks for the info.

any advice in milling the base plate carefull near the worm posts?
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

aqualibguitars wrote:any advice in milling the base plate carefull near the worm posts?
Not really enough information there to go on.

If you need ideas for designs, go to stewmac.com and see what they have. They have some really top-notch classical guitar tuners.

Also, have you looked at frets.com? That is our own Frank Ford - a master at guitars and all things machining for guitars.

Steve
Carm

Post by Carm »

It is admirable you wish to make your tuners.
But the road ahead may be full of potholes.
Cheap commodity guitars have reasonable tuners, often made from brass. If you strive to make a quality distinctive product, why go that route? Brass tarnishes, and people spending money on a fine axe don't want that, unless perhaps you are in a historic niche, where authenticity outweighs all other concerns.
Perhaps you intend to plate them?
German "silver" might be a good choice if not plated.

Is this for a classical guitar or steel string, flamenco, solid body whang bar dive bomber ...?

A capable machinist or CNC puncher should not have problems getting the tolerance you need. The tricky part is determining what tolerance you can in fact get away with, considering that not one item being made will have the same size...none will be plus/minus zero in relation to its fit.
The other thing is hole finish, what is required? Lots of metal on metal in a tuner, and close fits are needed.

SteveM's advice about clearance should be heeded. Typical ratios are between 12-16:1, so the worm won't back drive, but too much can strip teeth (unless nylon or gut strings). Too little and you would need to fit six meshes. Nothing wrong with a lapped mesh in this case but your time is worth something!

In summation, maybe you should stay with what you do best, build guitars, and let a vendor supply the pegs.
aqualibguitars

Post by aqualibguitars »

Thanks carm for ur advice. most of the high end tuning machine manufacturers use brass bass plate.
and worm ratio of about 1:15
gears are of bronze and worm is of stainless steel.
not decided if i will plate them o not. but lets 1st make the base plate :D
it will be for classical and flamenco guitar.
perhaps i may be the 1st indian to build own tuning keys
pls wish me luck and try to provide me as much information as u can
Magicniner

Post by Magicniner »

aqualibguitars wrote:Its my dream to build my own tuning keys for guitars which i build myself.
It's an admirable ambition but your post goes on to describe a process in which you are having other people make the parts for you.
It's common in the western world for builders and restorers of many things to present work as "of their making" for admiration only to find reading of the detail reveals them as the assembler of the work of others, most of whom receive no credit.
Please credit the work of the skilled people who supply/make the parts for you,
Regards,
Nick
aqualibguitars

Post by aqualibguitars »

ofcourse sir. well said
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

Around 1985, I was rolling into Bombay with some friends in my 1965 Chevrolet Impala when a push rod broke.
After nursing it to my friends flat [which had a reserved parking area] on 7 cylinders, I went parts hunting.
I found a nearly identical push rod, but it was an inch or so too long. I was pointed in the direction of the nearest machinist.
That little shop in Bombay had the rocker arms too, even though it's a very rare thing to find any American cars there.
Through a narrow doorway, a large electric motor was bolted to the floor, driving a flat belt that went to a pulley near the ceiling. long shafts transmitted the torque to the various machines as required. belts, shafts, and machines everywhere; the place was a quaint deathtrap.
Of course, the original motor in the shop was likely a monster low speed diesel, or perhaps... a steam engine??
There was just one old man in the large shop, as if he was the last of a dying breed. He spoke no English but had no trouble understanding what needed to be done.
He popped the new rod into the nearest lathe, deftly cut the end cap loose, shortened the rod to requirement and pressed the end back on.
I probably paid him $2 or $3 [the exchange rate was different back then].
I wonder if that shop is still there...? probably not.
aqualibguitars

Post by aqualibguitars »

sir india has lot of potential and skilled workers who can do many wonderful engineering jobs.
i hope one day i will be making really worldclass tuning keys for guitars.
aqualibguitars

Post by aqualibguitars »

Hello friends after visiting more than 100 workshops my project is going well.
and near about completion..
everything is upto the mark. but one small problem is left.
im build the keys buttons. but there is one problem of engaging the worm in the button.
i want to make double D-slot but not finding proper idea or tools. need ur help.
im attaching the fotos of the button for slot reference.
it is 4.5mm long and 3.5 mm diameter
pls help.
$_11.JPG
$_11.JPG (10.63 KiB) Viewed 5258 times
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

If you NEED to have it that shape, you may need to make or have made a custom broach, which is a cutting tool with edges that look like wide saw teeth to cut things like slots.

If you can have it square, then you can get an off-the-shelf square broach to make square holes.

They look like this:

Not sure if they make them rectangular, which would be closer to what you need.

Steve