Mitutoyo 6" digital caliper

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Mr Ron

Mitutoyo 6" digital caliper

Post by Mr Ron »

In a past post, I stated that I would buy a Mitutoyo digital caliper. After checking prices at the various vendors, I found that McMaster-Carr had the best price around by as much as 20 to 40 dollars less. Of course this didn't take into account shipping, but it still looks like the best deal.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
earlgo

Re: Mitutoyo 6" digital caliper

Post by earlgo »

You'll be glad you did. Let us know how it works out for you.
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

I'm glad I waited a few days. I just ordered the Mitutoyo 6" digital caliper, model #500-196-30 for $109 + $7.95 shipping from Travers Tool. Must be a model that is going out of production. I understand Mitutoyo limits their production every 2 years.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

You'll like it.
I have a 500-196-20. Probably about the same as the -30.
Excellent tool. Still has the original battery in it, and I think I got it about 15 years ago.

I have an 8" and a 12" Mityo of the same type as well, and both older yet than my 6".

Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

I'm counting the days.
Metalman

Post by Metalman »

I'm on my second 500-196-30. First one lasted 2-3 years then went berserk. Long Island Indicator said they can't be fixed or won't fix them. Bought them both from McMaster-Carr.
Don't know why the first one died it was never abused or dropped. Hope the new one lasts longer. You get spoiled with these, they are convenient, never have to re-zero.
I don't use them for finished measurements, just for checking when a few thousands don't matter.
Ernie F.
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

I just received my Mitutoyo digital caliper. It is beautiful. Can't wait to start using it. I'll check it against my HF caliper. I didn't realize this caliper reads directly in tenths.
pete

Post by pete »

Well they don't really read to 10ths Ron. Given the way digital systems work (so I've read) the last digit is going to be either a 5 or 0 since it's a rounded off number unless yours are a bit different than mine and Miututoyo has been able to up the accuracy. You can ignore the last digit I suppose if yours are the same as mine. Apparently there are some very high end digital calipers made in Europe that do read down into the 10ths range and according to some users they can be trusted to provide almost micrometer like accuracy. I still only trust my Mits down to a couple of thou. If it needs closer then the mikes come out to be sure. I can say my calipers agree very close to what the mikes read at the .001" range almost every time. When they are off a bit it's usually just a tiny chip or other on the jaws. I just don't feel comfortable blindly trusting them to that .001" though.
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

Pete; You are correct. The last digit reads 5 or 0; but still a very nice caliper.
pete

Post by pete »

Yep they are for sure. Once you get used to there feel and operation it can be tough to go back to using anything less.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

I recently picked up a set and they are really nice.

My Horror Freight calipers sometimes don't go back to zero. The Mitu ALWAYS does. I can trust it.

My dad got a pair of Mitutoyo's back in the 1970's, I think. They were still working a few years ago (haven't tried them recently). Once he got them, the Starrett went on the shelf and never came off.

I also have a couple of Starrett 123 vernier calipers, the ones with 50 graduations on the slide instead of 25. As long as you can see the lines, they work really well, and you NEVER have to re-zero them or close them to be sure they are right - they ALWAYS are. I heard that Long Island Indicator uses only Starrett 123 calipers for their work - no dial calipers.

Steve
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

I like the feel of carbide jaws. Anything reasonable there?

My HF have not yet let me down, but they do feel soft and it is irritating to have to reset them so often.
Standards are so important that everyone must have their own...
To measure is to know - Lord Kelvin
Disclaimer: I'm just a guy with a few machines...