5-C JFK internal expanding collets Using?

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

John Evans

5-C JFK internal expanding collets Using?

Post by John Evans »

Anybody using the JFK style internal expanding 5-C collets?? I picked up a bunch of the replaceable heads/inserts for my holders,more than i'll ever use . Some of these have been cut down to the last roundup :lol:. Anyway curious if anyone else uses these? Would consider parting with some if anyone needs. I think I'm going to use these instead of my expanding mandrels for OD bushing work. My Heavy 10 collet selection is getting pretty complete now.
Attachments
jfk 001.JPG
jfk 002.JPG
jfk 003.JPG
jfk 004.JPG
www.chaski.com
spro

Re: 5-C JFK internal expanding collets Using?

Post by spro »

I'm familiar with pot chucks/ collets which hold the OD but this is something different to me. It is interesting. So it is held by 5C and a draw bar comes in with tapered section to expand ?
John Evans

Post by John Evans »

SPRO: Look at the last picture, there is a sliding internal section that the collet drawbar pulls on to pull the taper headed screw that to expand the collet. Also note the threads on the right end of the collet that is separate from the collet body ,part of the internal sliding section.
www.chaski.com
spro

Post by spro »

Okay! Very neat. I never knew beyond the smaller expanding arbors.
spro

Post by spro »

Expanding "mandrels". So if you sell some of these expanding jobs, do they come with the sliding internal section? I'm thinking these would need to be made. Are they all the same? These are interesting the same way "pot chucks" are because there is a grip and also a precise backing support which can be touched up, dead accurate before use.
John Evans

Post by John Evans »

No all I got extra are the heads,only got 2 of the bodies . funny thing is only a few of the heads are marked "JFK" but that does not look hand stamped??? My ENCO showed this style setup but NO name was given ???
www.chaski.com