Die grinder versus pencil grinder??

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Glenn Brooks

Re: Die grinder versus pencil grinder??

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Carm wrote:"Any recommendations?"

Learn how to weld!
That likely sounds hard nosed, but the easiest way to clean up a weld is not have arc burns, spatter etc. there in the first place.
Perhaps you are using an inappropriate filler, or technique, poor initial arc/puddle settings.
If you have a situation where arc blow has occurred with stick welding, spatter CAN be a problem.

One of the best things is prep the area with a good anti-spatter. The best are not cheap, but clean up is easy, practically wipe-off.
Use a chisel that has a flat bottom and a 90 degree face. Most spatter comes off with a push, maybe needs a tap w/small hammer.
Die grinders are great, but it is very easy to chew up a weld with one, making a good weld look amateurish.
Yes, well I know how to weld, but am not a welder by trade... Yep, the process is stick and my surfaces are usually ground sometimes wire wheel brushed pretty clean. Although not universally bright metal sometimes. Actually part of the problem is removing the flash rust and the shielding residue that builds up all around the joint - particularly in the smallish inside corners and deep 45* angles.

Ive been chipping out the splatter with small chisels and working the deposition patterns by hand with Ospho and wire brushes- but that's getting old and I have three bridge deck sections yet to weld up, so thinking about a way to speed up the work. Plus it's another reason to buy more tools.

Also using Ospho for a base coat treatment prior to painting requires another complete pass to get rid of all the residue that bubbles up here and there.

But as you say, good prep on the surface joints is good preventive medicine.
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

You had me at:
Glenn Brooks wrote:Plus it's another reason to buy more tools.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Thanks all for your advice and recommendations.

I just ordered an Aircat 6201 straight die grinder, 1/4" shank, around.5 hp, 6 CFM, rear exhaust. Paid $54 with free shipping off eBay. Seems like a decent price for a quality tool.

Any recommendations where to buy Carbide burrs that don't cost hundreds of dollars? Their doesn't seem to be a very large group of suppliers online... Lots of tooling, same few people. I don't trust Asian tooling anymore, so looking for economical alternative...

TOOL UPDATE:

FYI for anyone thinking of buying a die grinder. My Aircat 6201 works well for light grinding with a circular wheel, but lugs down and stalls with very little pressure on the work. I first used a squared off end, coarse wire brush ($25$$$$) to clean up the welding residue left over from 1/8" 6012 rod. Very unhappy with the grinder stalling out constantly when trying to get in the tight inside corners I was trying to clean up prior to painting. Also the $25 coarse SS wire brush disintegrated before I finished cleaning up the 15 or so inside corners I was working on. So Switched to a circular fine brush and had better results.

Also, the Chinese Bur (tree shape) I bought as a test, to grind down welds, disintegrated after 3 minutes -yes three minutes -actual use. It appears the heat buildup from grinding melts the cheap solder/brazing compound/glue they use to attach the 'carbide' head to the mild steel shaft. Hence the cutting head fell off after light grinding on two short 1" welds. I found a similar review on eBay from another machinist. I will post a photo of these junk toolings if I can lift the correct one off eBay. The American made Burrs are prohibitedly expensive - $9 to $15 + dollars each. So I suspect overall, I won't use the machine as much as I had hoped. Doesn't make any sense to spend $40 or $50 each time cleaning up a weldment when I can do the same thing with a two dollar hand held brush - just with a little extra hand work.

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Here is a photo of the import die grinder Bur that disintegrated after three minutes use. Looks like the heat build up from the carbide tip grinding off the top of a weld melted the brazing compound/glue the factory used to mate the carbide head with the mild steel shank.

Note, I tried to blaze back together - just messed up the head with bronze...

Anyway, these burs are very prevalent on eBay. And completely worthless, except maybe for grinding plastic or Aluminium. Definitely a Buyer Beware kind of tooling....
image.jpeg
Attachments
image.jpg

tornitore45

Post by tornitore45 »

I like my Proxxon, but is for very light work.
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

Burrs are on the list of all cutters, that I buy made in USA.
My opinion, if it's a cutting tool, any that directly hits the material to be cut, don't be cheap.
Drill bits, burrs, HSS blanks, inserts....whatever. My experience with cheap stuff is it costs more money.....

:)
Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.