Still Marring On Pipe Even With Aluminium Sleeve

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

pollys1dad

Still Marring On Pipe Even With Aluminium Sleeve

Post by pollys1dad »

Hi all,
My machinist friend formed up an aluminium sleeve out of some scrap he had. At first the pipe was fine then back to the old slipping as I tried to thread it. I have a long length of scaffold pole, used in scaffolding around houses with scaffold boards when building, think goes by a different name in the States.
Had it when I had my Beetle, used to put it on the rear axle nut socket and jump up an down on the pole to get the axle nuts undone :)
Ah, those were the days :)
I used the scaffold pole as a tommy bar to really tighten down the sleeve though I didn't want to go over the top and risk wrecking the jaw mechanism.
Still spun and tried repositioning sleeve still spun. I'm thinking, can't really try anything else? I did thread up a steel pipe last week without the sleeve, threaded up fine no problems at all, though marred the pipe. Think will just have to accept the marring and file any burrs off.
????
Thanks.
Attachments
A .jpg
B .jpg
C.jpg
D.jpg
E.jpg
Happycamper

Re: Still Marring On Pipe Even With Aluminium Sleeve

Post by Happycamper »

Try wrapping webbing around it. I do a spiral of 1" nylon webbing around the pipe then place in a vice that has v slot jaws. Hasn't slipped yet. If this is a hollow tube, then you'll need something inside the tube to support it and keep it from collapsing. Put a length of solid bar that fits the inside diameter of the tube.
TomB

Post by TomB »

Happycamper wrote:Try wrapping webbing around it. I do a spiral of 1" nylon webbing around the pipe then place in a vice that has v slot jaws. .....
Ever since the thread started I have been thinking that I would try to hold the pipe with webbing but I would not use the webbing as a pad. I'd wrap the pipe about 3 or four times as tightly as possible in the CCW direction then take the loose end and tie it off below the pipe vise table. I've not tried it for this application but I suspect the webbing would pull until it really held the pipe from turning CW. Then let the clamp hold the pipe to prevent turning in the backup direction (CCW), it probably can be loose enough to avoid marring but if not a second web could be used with a CW wrap on the pipe.

As stated I have not tried tapping against a wrap but I have successfully braked an axle this way. Good luck.
Tom
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

Get one of these:
BC210.jpg
BC210.jpg (18.96 KiB) Viewed 3416 times
Far better grip than the vise you have.
Mine seldom mars the pipe.

Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
Magicniner

Post by Magicniner »

For a sleeve to work on relatively thin walled pipe it needs to have a cylindrical ID to give a large area of contact, bending a bit of plate a fairly crappy fashion just gives a few small areas of contact with predictable results.

- Nick
Rich_Carlstedt

Post by Rich_Carlstedt »

I wrap emery cloth around the pipe..
First, fold the cloth in half so it has abrasives on both sides.
120 is a good choice or 80

Rich
pollys1dad

Post by pollys1dad »

Happycamper wrote:Try wrapping webbing around it. I do a spiral of 1" nylon webbing around the pipe then place in a vice that has v slot jaws. Hasn't slipped yet. If this is a hollow tube, then you'll need something inside the tube to support it and keep it from collapsing. Put a length of solid bar that fits the inside diameter of the tube.
OK will give this a try inside the hollow sleeve.
pollys1dad

Post by pollys1dad »

Rich_Carlstedt wrote:I wrap emery cloth around the pipe..
First, fold the cloth in half so it has abrasives on both sides.
120 is a good choice or 80

Rich
I'll try this method too.
pollys1dad

Post by pollys1dad »

warmstrong1955 wrote:Get one of these:
BC210.jpg
Far better grip than the vise you have.
Mine seldom mars the pipe.

Bill
If trying the two methods other members have suggested neither work. Then I think I will go to the tool hire place and see if I can get a 1/2 day hire of a chain vice.
Cheers everyone.