Rust prevention & removal & lubricants - oils vs "WD40" vs natural fats (animal/plant)

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

tomc

Re: Rust prevention & removal & lubricants - oils vs "WD40" vs natural fats (animal/plant)

Post by tomc »

try this link as his is missing dash between words.

http://www.fluid-film.com/

Tom C.
tom_at_srclry_com
A student of the Southend RGS!
Harold_V

Re: Rust prevention & removal & lubricants - oils vs "WD40" vs natural fats (animal/plant)

Post by Harold_V »

juiceclone wrote:If u don't mind messy, mix a bit of grease with gasoline and squirt that on. The gas penetrates, evaporates, and leaves behind whatever grease u used. Really good on control cables etc. because it gets into any space.
Exercise extreme caution should you desire to try using gasoline for ANYTHING beyond its intended purpose (fuel for an engine). It has properties that often lead to less than desirable, if not fatal results.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
whateg0

Post by whateg0 »

For rust removal, I've started using Evaporust where I can.
pete

Post by pete »

Tools are no different than guns. And a gun is just a tool also. Anything recommended for gun storage for rust prevention works just fine for tools. Cosmoline was and maybe still is used for very long term gun storage but as mentioned it's a pain to clean off before you use the tool. But if it would be for long term storage then cosmoline if you can find it is probably the cheapest available and is proven to work well over the long term.WD is used as a cleaner and degreaser on off shore tooling and rarely as a water displacer and what it was invented to do in my shop. There's far better that will work and do it cheaper than it around most shops as a rust preventer. New motor oil of any type would cover a great many tools with a thin coat and last fairly long. But I used Bosheild ect simply because I have it.