Garbage Score: 2HP Treadmill Motor

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

NP317

Re: Garbage Score: 2HP Treadmill Motor

Post by NP317 »

earlgo wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:26 pm Steve: Was the buffer the thing you actually used the motor for?
I just got a similar 2HP unit with controller, etc and it is rated at 5200rpm and I don't have an immediate plan for it.
Any suggestions?
--earlgo
Probably give it to Steve!
~RN
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

What machines do you have that would benefit from variable speed and don't need more than 2hp?
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

Just me, my current speed is very slow and easily distracted. :lol:
Everything else I use is old and junky and wouldn't be worth the effort to put in a different drive.
Perhaps the exception would be the 1/3hp Atlas Lathe, but a variable speed motor would be just another layer of lipstick. And the DC drive would probably require extensive drive belt modifications since the original is designed for a 1725rpm motor. Meh.
Guess the drive will go into inventory and eventually, the dumpster. As in, "Wonder why dad saved this?"
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

earlgo writes:
> And the DC drive would probably require extensive drive belt modifications since
> the original is designed for a 1725rpm motor.

That motor would give nearly full output at 1725 so you would not need to change anything in the belt drive. It would also probably deliver more than 1/3 hp throttled down to the lowest spindle speed you can get now with belt changes, so you could keep your present speed range and give up changing belts.
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

Thanks for the info John. It is obvious that I am an official EI, so any help is appreciated.
I'll look into this further with some local help.
--earlgo (Electrical Incompetent)
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.