One Type of Air Connector Better Than Others?

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

warmstrong1955

Re: One Type of Air Connector Better Than Others?

Post by warmstrong1955 »

BigDumbDinosaur wrote:
neanderman wrote:My dad's couplings were automotive, so when I bought some new ones recently, that's what I went with. But I also made an adapter so I could use rental tools with industrial connectors.
By "industrial connectors," are you referring to this style?

truflate_male.png
I think Tru-Flate' is considered one of the 'industrial' flavors.
It's also what I use in my shop, and from what I found as a contractor, more popular in mine shops. Best thing is, every auto parts and hardware store in town carries them.
I can't tell you if they last longer than the other industrial types. If they do, or don't, I never noticed.
I can tell you, don't buy Horror Freight type couplers, and other cheap brands.
Auo parts stores, theirs are good. Milton, or ARO. Walmart....China.
By brass for the female. Steel, zinc or cad plated, will rust, and then they leak. Not a lot sometimes, but that depends a lot on usage.

Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

These are the ones I used. Can't beat the price on that set. I bought 4 of those to convert over most everything, keeping the smaller connectors (they still work) on the low flow tools. Most every drop in my shop plumbing (6) is now V, most all the air hoses, and the tap right off the tank is V as well. I've got a hand full of male ends left over for whatever may come. I also used some of the non-compatible "industrial" fittings that came down to create converters, just in case, but most are setting in a bin gathering dust.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

warmstrong1955 wrote:
BigDumbDinosaur wrote:
neanderman wrote:My dad's couplings were automotive, so when I bought some new ones recently, that's what I went with. But I also made an adapter so I could use rental tools with industrial connectors.
By "industrial connectors," are you referring to this style?

truflate_male.png
I think Tru-Flate' is considered one of the 'industrial' flavors...I can't tell you if they last longer than the other industrial types. If they do, or don't, I never noticed.
It's been my experience that the Tru-Flate design outlasts the others. I have air piped around my shop, with connectors located at convenient places. Some of those connectors have been in use since the early 1980s and are not leaking or otherwise misbehaving.
By brass for the female. Steel, zinc or cad plated, will rust, and then they leak. Not a lot sometimes, but that depends a lot on usage.
Most of those ancient connectors in my shop are steel. They are apparently indestructible. :D
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

Some of the males I have are hard steel; I tried to cut one and I was quite surprised.
I have a box of 3/4" females and a couple of male air connectors. If anyone has any use for one, give me a shout.
I use the regular little ones.
They look the same, but I wonder if the European ones are metric??
I'll have to measure one.
Hopefuldave

Post by Hopefuldave »

The European ones are indeed Metric - the threads are Metric standard plumbing / pipe threads, also known as British Standard Pipe, with the inch dimensions translated into mm... Note that British and American pipe threads are close, but not the same - e.g. same diameters but different thread pitches, just like Whitworth Vs UNC.

I use both Euro (short) and English (long) for one reason: the Euro outlets go through a filter AND OILER, the English through a filter and moisture trap (silica gel), for air tools and spray/blasting guns respectively. Saves on fisheyes in the paint and clogged guns, makes sure the tools are oiled.

Dave H. (the other one)
Rules are for the obedience of fools, and the guidance of Wise Men - Douglas Bader
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

BSP is not metric! It's based on inches, the thread pitch is in inches too. I've measured them and cut them. The 1/8" comes in 3 different pitches but I'm pretty sure the larger sizes are all the same.
But when I buy lengths of pipe at the steel yard, I have to order the inch sized pipe in the metric conversion ["one and a quarter inch pipe? No, we don't have that here. 42.4 milliliter? Yes, we have lots of 42.7milimeter."]

Anyway, I was thinking of the couplings, not the threads
I can't remember measuring one, but I always assumed mine were 8mm.
They could be 5/16" though.
Hopefuldave

Post by Hopefuldave »

Exactly - but the European standard fittings are BSP, come in "3.1, 6.3 mm" etc - and they're e.g. 13.1mm major diameter by 1.33mm pitch...
I hope they don't give you 42mm pipe instead of inch and a quarter though, it ain't going to fit... ;o)

Dave H. (the other one)
Rules are for the obedience of fools, and the guidance of Wise Men - Douglas Bader
larry_g

Post by larry_g »

SteveHGraham wrote:Does anyone actually KNOW which air hose connectors (automotive, industrial, etc.) are best?
What do YOU use for a measuring stick to determine 'better' ? Each member above has what meets his or her requirements. I personally use the industrial standard fittings and they have worked well for me. Some brands of couplings have rusted, some have failed springs, and some have been weak enough to break. I also have some Clippard disconnects that I use for instrument air.

lg
no neat sig line
I am unique, just like everyone else.
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

What we call inch and a quarter pipe isn't actually inch and a quarter; it's 1.66", or 42.2mm since they're 'nominal' sizes more or less imagining the inside diameter.
This makes life eternally confusing.

Sort of like the size of a 2x4; they just aren't 2"x4"
The same lumber here is refereed to as 45x90's. That just doesn't roll off the tongue very well.
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

liveaboard wrote:Sort of like the size of a 2x4; they just aren't 2"x4"
Adding to the confusion, the 2×4 has undergone several size changes over the years. Long, long ago, a 2 × 4 was really 2 inches by 4 inches. However, that was rough lumber with no finishing beyond sawing. After planing, the finished product was 1¾ × 3¾ for a long time and then was reduced to 1½ × 3½. When I was fist learning basic carpentry, a 2 × 4 was 1¾ × 3¾, the change to the present size coming in the early 1960s.
The same lumber here is refereed to as 45x90's. That just doesn't roll off the tongue very well.
No it doesn't. We'd have the same problem if American and Canadian football (not soccer) was played on a metric field. Somehow, saying the running back was tackled on the 36th meter line doesn't sound quite right. :D
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

I happened to see Tru-Flate connectors at an auto parts place today while doubling the value of my dad's Explorer by putting a battery in it. They come in different flavors. Not all automotive.

Now I know where I can get decent connectors locally.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
Jawn

Post by Jawn »

BadDog wrote:I prefer the Milton V series, which have a high flow compared to others. Also compatible with most everything, but best if you use the V series connectors on both side so that you have the max flow. Just push together, and easily decoupled under pressure. Most of my hose is 3/8 with the 1/4 NPT ends, though I do have some half inch with high flow industrial couplers.
I like these too. Early on I found out about these and just stuck with 'em. I find they're not always the easiest to connect under pressure though. But the low restriction to airflow isn't a bad thing. How much benefit, I don't know.