Setting up a "Precise Super 65" spindle grinder

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Steve S

Setting up a "Precise Super 65" spindle grinder

Post by Steve S »

My lathe chuck being at 0.006" run out started me down the path of putting together an I.D. grinding set up . I have an O.D. grinder already and decided that I wanted a dedicated I.D. unit . I picked up the Super 65 at a decent price , replaced the power cord , brushes and air filter looked good .
I soon relized that 45,000 rpms is way over what the i.d. stones would handle ( learned by research , didn't actually gernade one ) . More down the path , I found a correct speed control unit for the 65 . That is a rather salty price tag . Now I also see many of the photos show a type of chuck for 1/8" or 1/4" mounted stone or cutter bits . Can someone inlighten me on these spindle grinders . I'm wondering if I bought an apple when I should have gotten an orange ... I doing the math , I'm finding I can buy a new chuck for price I'm going to have in the tooling to atempt restoring by old chuck .

Steve S

Attachments
s-l1600.jpg
John Hasler

Re: Setting up a "Precise Super 65" spindle grinder

Post by John Hasler »

"AC-DC" on the nameplate indicates that it is a series motor. A speed control should be quite straightforward. Does it have a tach?
Steve S

Post by Steve S »

No tachometer , will have to add that to the required component . The speed control is specific to the Super 65 .

Steve
Steve S

Post by Steve S »

stevec

Post by stevec »

Steve S wrote: The speed control is specific to the Super 65 .
Steve
I doubt the "speed control" is that "specific", I suspect it is no more than a variable transformer, but that's water under the "spent money bridge" now.
I'm also surprised that a smaller dia. stone would require a slower speed than a larger dia. "external" grinding stone.
I'll be following this subject with interest.
Steve
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

That's just a variac. A triac speed control would work as well. You've got yourself a nice variac, though.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

stevec wrote:I'm also surprised that a smaller dia. stone would require a slower speed than a larger dia. "external" grinding stone.
I'll be following this subject with interest.
That makes no sense. How a wheel (not stone) is applied makes no difference. Rule of thumb for vitrified bonded grinding wheels, regardless of diameter, is to operate at about 6,000 sfpm. Running faster offers the opportunity for the wheel to explode, and yields performance as if the wheel is harder than its rating. Operating slower than recommended speed results in a wheel that behaves as if it is softer than its rating, and won't perform to satisfaction.

Without speed control, the largest wheel that could be safely used with this tool is slightly larger than ½" (9/16" breaks the rule).

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Steve S

Post by Steve S »

Harold ,

sfpm : surface feet per minute ?
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

yes
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
Steve S

Post by Steve S »

I wanted to "Thank" everyone so far for their input .

Brings us up to collets . Is there a source for a 1/4" collet head ?
The spindle's output :
It's a 1/4" - 28 tpi shaft , 3/8" long . RH threads .
Which goes to a 1/2" dia. 1/4" long shoulder .
Ends with the 3/4" dia shaft housing .

Steve
Steve S

Post by Steve S »

Adapting a new one over to the 65 .

1/4" collet

Which brings us to tachometers . Contact or Non-Contact for figuring the surface feet per minute or rpm if the bit is so rated .
John Evans

Post by John Evans »

Non -contact have both ,the non- contact is much better.
www.chaski.com