shop built dividing head help

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

spro

Re: shop built dividing head help

Post by spro »

I don't know why I didn't think of this, again but-- Right Angle Speed Reducers--. They are plentiful and come in many usable ratios for dividing. Check them out. The worm and wheel run in gear lube and are very tough units.
stephenc

Post by stephenc »

I've never Been inside a steering box .. might not be a bad idea . I'll have to see if I can dig up an old box to tear into .
I've had the right angle speed reducers on my search list and I actually have one on hand but it's odd 23-1 ratio isn't dividing friendly .

While I'm out and about tomarow I plan on stopping at a local salvage yard and doing some scrounging .
Russ Hanscom

Post by Russ Hanscom »

Most steering boxes use a quadrant, a 1/4 of a circle or less, gear, not a full circle, so that limits their use. For steering boxes, it makes them more compact and cheaper. If the housing is not big enough, then no need to look inside.

I have only seen one very old one that used a full gear.
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

stephenc: this was in the thread about gear hobbing
Postby the mad machinist » Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:07 pm
Here is the address to get the plans for a gear hobber. http://www.martinmodel.com/MMPtools.html

If you follow the link, the 5th article down shows a home built indexer that may help you along. Probably the plans cost something, I didn't inquire.

--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
stephenc

Post by stephenc »

thank you , every little bit helps .

i think i have found a suitable worm and gear , in a snow blower of all places .
i was at my brothers this weekend scrounging around for some scrap metal and came across an old snow blower in the weeds .
being the consummate cheapskate that i am i pulled it out in the open to check it out and found that it has a worm and gear with a 30-1 ratio .

but before i go tearing it apart i need to dump some gas in it and make sure it doesn't still run
spro

Post by spro »

A working snowblower in February in Ohio is a good thing. Who the xxxx knows what is going to happen. If you got that thing running, well my brother would have his eye peeled for something better than 30:1 ag grade. It is still 30:1 no matter how you set it and is that a normal ratio? No. Things slip by but it is always good to see your brother. While we can.
stephenc

Post by stephenc »

i should have just torn it apart , blew out the fuel line and dumped some gas in it it and the darn thing started up the first pull .
my brother doesn't give a hoot if i rob parts off it . but its not in bad shape and it works so ill leave it alone . no sense in robbing parts off a perfectly good snow blower .

30-1 is a good workable ratio for dividing , ive never worked on a snowblower so i dont have any input on the quality of the worm and gear .
i have to go into town tomarow , i think ill stop at the mower repair shop to see if maybe they have one i can check out .
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

Go ahead and use the snow blower parts, you won't need them this year. The wood anemonies have told me so.
Anenomies 2-14-2017.jpg
--earlgo (30 mi west of Y-town)
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

I wish we could see the ground around here!
We call this guy "Mr. Fluffy."
At least the temperature is out of the 20s F now.

Russ, in N. Oregon.
Mr.Fluffysmall.jpg
stephenc

Post by stephenc »

Snow blower parts it's going to be , stopped at the mower repair shop earlier and they had a couple new worm and gear sets . Quality is more then good enough to suit my needs and the owner of the shop was nice enough to invite me back to scrounge threw his pile of non working snow blowers Friday when he has more free time .

The best part is even if none of his parts machines have a suitable ratio I can buy a brand new set for around $30 . So either way my search is soon to be over and I can move on to actually building this thing :)
spro

Post by spro »

Thanks to your investigation, you fixed a snow blower and found a source otherwise unknown. I already call that a good thing.
BlackStack

Post by BlackStack »

I'll be following this thread with interest! I have the Gingery book. I picked it up years ago, saw the worm and gear he spec'd in it cost more than a Shars dividing head (at the time, anyway. I haven't looked lately) then kind of forgot about it on the shelf!

Looking forward to seeing your prototype!
BlackStack -- Just blowin' smoke.