Questions about twist drills

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

earlgo

Re: Questions about twist drills

Post by earlgo »

Harold_V wrote: Gunsmiths, using less than great lathes, have (successfully) drilled deep holes for a long time now, thanks to that technology.
True, but the very early guys hammer forge-welded a strip of wrought iron around a long mandrel, straightened the resultant tube, and then using primitive bits, bored the tube to size, and then rifled it, if required. I don't know when the high pressure coolant fed gun drill was perfected, but it was most likely not before the 20th century. (I didn't 'google' it so correct me please.)
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
atunguyd

Post by atunguyd »

Harold, can you please elaborate on your warning earlier in this thread about using the side of the grind wheel and "horsing". I am not familiar with this term horsing and it seems a valuable warning.

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

He's just saying it's ok to use the flat side of the wheel for light relatively gentle work when needed to provide a flat surface not easily achieved working on the circumference of the wheel where most grinding is done. If you get very aggressive using the side of the wheel, or start developing significant grooves, you risk breaking the wheel and causing damage and/or serious injury. It's also worth noting that beyond initial truing, cleaning and refreshing a wheel side should you dull it can also be problematic, so in my shop I use the side both gently and sparingly only as needed.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

You just have to use common sense with abrasives. Like when I use a Dremel tool to remove calluses from my feet.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

SteveHGraham wrote:You just have to use common sense with abrasives. Like when I use a Dremel tool to remove calluses from my feet.
Podiatrists use a Dremel-like tool to remove calluses and bunions, except theirs is made from stainless steel and probably costs thousands of dollars, being a medical instrument. :shock: As the old warning goes: trained professional, do not try this at home. :D
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D