Gauge Pins

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

John Evans

Gauge Pins

Post by John Evans »

After today I know I'm nuts,bought about 15+ sets of pins and not a inch of shelf space in the house or shop to put them. I picked out sets from .061 to 1" to keep ,picked the most complete sets not worrying if nominal or plus-minus. Will deal with that as usage arises. Next problem is what to do with the sets missing some of the pins. Would sell cheap but due to the mounting board size most need a large board game FRB , that equals shipiing kills the deal. And did I mention in the larger sizes the bloody things are heavy. I think i'm just adding stock for my future estate sale ! :roll:
www.chaski.com
SteveM

Re: Gauge Pins

Post by SteveM »

We already knew you were nuts.

Sent you an email.

Steve
Cary Stewart

Post by Cary Stewart »

Hello John,
The first question that came to mind was what class of pins are they? The second one was are they + or -? Vermont Gage through Travers Machine tools might be one place to look into. There is another gage maker in the north east but the name escapes me. If not too many are missing individual pins are not too expensive. Full sets are out of my price range.
Cary
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

Yeah, pins are too much for me too. I did get a few of the standard fractional sizes from a member here in a small lot. They were just wrapped in plastic. ;)
Standards are so important that everyone must have their own...
To measure is to know - Lord Kelvin
Disclaimer: I'm just a guy with a few machines...
John Evans

Post by John Evans »

Some are nominal ,some are minus,some are plus. Well I would take $10 a set plus shipping of $20. mostly .061-.250 & .251-.500. with a bit of .500-.625. The mounting boards require the large game FRB. Anyway say what size +,- or nominal and I'll see whats out there. My main wants was for .500-1" and I can deal with +,- issues ,heck would be nice to have all three styles. Do that and I'd be putting up shelves in the backyard under a umbrella! Tool dealer has a couple of sad KO Lee grinders that I'm angling for .Work head uses 5-C collets ,want to adapt that to my B&S 13 grinder which uses B&S 6 in the work head.
www.chaski.com
Rolland

Post by Rolland »

PM sent
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

I got some pins missing from both of my sets. Any chance for a fill-in?
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

I'd be looking for some fill-ins as well.

Steve
John Evans

Post by John Evans »

Looks like the only thing available for fill ins would be in the .061-.500 range. Only excess bigger is spoken for.
www.chaski.com
Rolland

Post by Rolland »

John
Package arrived today, I like the creative packaging glad you washed the dishes first.
John Evans

Post by John Evans »

Yep the 4 legged dishwashers Soap & Water AKA Ginger & Rex do a good job !! :lol:
And edit all pins finally found homes, save the 60-70 lbs that stayed with me. Dang things in the bigger sizes get heavy in a hurry.
www.chaski.com
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

John Evans wrote:Yep the 4 legged dishwashers Soap & Water AKA Ginger & Rex do a good job !! :lol:
And edit all pins finally found homes, save the 60-70 lbs that stayed with me. Dang things in the bigger sizes get heavy in a hurry.
Mine found their way home. Along with the DRO! Thanks.

Now I just need to get the mill set up and get it running!

Steve