Is it dangerous to machine Bakelite?

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

jscarmozza

Is it dangerous to machine Bakelite?

Post by jscarmozza »

I need a new insulating fitting on my heat treating furnace, I have a few rounds of Bakelite that I can machine it from, however, I remember an old neighbor who had been a machinist saw these one day when he was in my shop and said 'don't ever machine that'. I didn't ask why at the time because I wasn't planning on machining anything from the blanks. Does anyone know what he was referring to? Thanks, John
warmstrong1955

Re: Is it dangerous to machine Bakelite?

Post by warmstrong1955 »

Mmmmmm.....I can't say for sure.
I worked for heavy equipment manufacturer, and we used Bakelite for the starter fuse holders, that were used on every model we built. Had a lot of other uses there too, mostly for electrical goodies.
Bought to thickness, saw cut, drilled, c-bored, and a couple of drilled & tapped holes besides.
Was always done dry there.....but that was quite some time ago.
I would think that just avoiding the dust, with a bit of KoolMist & a spray bottle, or just wearing a mask would suffice.....but I don't know that.

Sorry....not much help.....
Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
Lew Hartswick

Post by Lew Hartswick »

I've sawed it drilled it for years in the electronics racket both paper filled and linen filled. Only effect I've ever noticed it it stinks a bit.
Of course pleasant/vile odor is a subjective thing. :-)
...lew...
Rich_Carlstedt

Post by Rich_Carlstedt »

I think the link is heavily biased .
First, it is an attorney's site and leans heavily on scare tactics.
Asbestos is hazardous only when it is FRIABLE !... yet in the article it says " Friable: No"
Second it covers all kinds of products that are not Bakelite , but tossed into the pool.

I have worked with it in the past and in all my career never heard it as being hazardous nor did it ever carry a warning.
Most repugnant is the smell and a vacuum system could alleviate any dust .
Inhaling Formaldehyde is probably the worst concern
Know that there are several forms of Bakelite.
The most common stock for fabrication work in machine shops had Linen as the filler . These looked like plywood
with the cloth included in layers as flat plates or round bars.
Rich
10KPete

Post by 10KPete »

Wait a minute.... OP said "Bakelite". Latest posts are talking about phenolic sheet. I believe the two are very different in makeup.

Pete
Just tryin'
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

10KPete wrote:Wait a minute.... OP said "Bakelite". Latest posts are talking about phenolic sheet. I believe the two are very different in makeup.

Pete

Same thing. Bakelite is a trademark. I don't think most formulations contained asbestos.

Some actual facts about the asbestos risk: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16147471
10KPete

Post by 10KPete »

Ahhh, OK. Same resin, different 'filler' materials. The Bakelite I know has no visible structure inside when broken and is usually molded under heat and pressure to make the shape (knobs, old radio cases, telephone handsets, etc.). Phenolic to me is a laminated material, originally with paper and then later using other sheet or fabric. Also made with heat and pressure.

Correct me if I'm wrong, please!

Pete
Just tryin'
Atkinson_Railroad

Post by Atkinson_Railroad »

Not knowing specifically what the purpose of the “insulating fitting” provides, the material you found may not even be suitable for the given part.
Bakelite, Micarta, Phenolic, Nomex, and many other exotic electrical insulating materials do have heat limitations.
And some absorb moisture which may be a detriment. Having machined many kinds of insulating materials used in the
electrical apparatus repair industry, they all emit unpleasant odor when worked. The “chips” and/or dust created during machining can be irritating if one is affected by such. Wear a mask, and where safety glasses.

John
jscarmozza

Post by jscarmozza »

The insulating fitting that I want to make is a holder for a UV eye that proves combustion, it is tubular with male and female pipe threads on either end. The stock is 1-1/2" diameter rod, brown in color, smooth on the outside with a dull sheen and coarse where sawn. Like a lot of things I have, I don't know where I got it and don't really know what it is, someone told me it was Bakelite and that's what I refer to it as. The asbestos thing has me a little concerned, not enough to stop me, but I'm definitely going to be cautious. Those of you that worked with it, do you think I can cut internal and external pipe threads in it, as someone mentioned, the original piece was molded not machined. Thanks for the input, John

P.s. Rich, are you thinking about a 'how to' on making gear cutters :D
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

Very upsetting to see that people don't automatically believe a lawyer's website.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

SteveHGraham wrote:Very upsetting to see that people don't automatically believe a lawyer's website.
Well.....we used to have to call 1-800-AMBULANCE CHASER
Now it's easier with ambulancechaser.com
And everyone knows everything on the web is true!!

;)
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.