Tool Grinder Wheels

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

toolroom

Tool Grinder Wheels

Post by toolroom »

I just purchased a Tool Grinder and luckily it came with a Norton Diamond wheel for carbide grinding. I went looking for a CBN/Borozon wheel for the opposite side for HSS, and find that most all the 6A2C wheels from China (must be trued and balanced), prior to use. This would be an additional $50.-75. added to the cost of the wheel. Last year Travers sold the wheel at $110. but this year it is $253.75
What I am asking is, Has anyone used offshore wheels? Are they worth the price? Must they be trued and balanced? Norton wheels are very expensive, but a decent wheel should last for touch ups.
I would appreciate your input!
Toolroom
earlgo

Re: Tool Grinder Wheels

Post by earlgo »

You didn't say what size wheels you need, but the Norton Seeded Gel wheels are great for HSS and other very hard ferrous metals. I use 5SG60-KVS Norton grinding wheels on the Delta Toolmaker grinder and they are available from Amazon as well as General Tool and Supply.
http://www.generaltoolworldwide.com/nor ... roduction/
I have also noted that some woodworking supply houses sell them for bench grinders.
http://www.packardwoodworks.com/Merchan ... e=sharp-sg
They are bloody expensive though, but they do last a long time with careful dressing.
Others here may have alternative suggestions, but that is what this forum is for.

--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
jscarmozza

Post by jscarmozza »

Toolroom, any of this of interest to you? Yours for the cost of shipping (cross country). These are WW II vintage that I got when I cleaned out an old machinist's garage, I brought home a few samples of each type and left hundreds behind, they don't fit any of my grinders. John
Attachments
image.jpeg
Russ Hanscom

Post by Russ Hanscom »

With that many wheels to chose from, I would make or find a grinder to fit!
powderhorn01

Post by powderhorn01 »

jscarmozza:
All the wheels except for the top three are for a tool post grinder, and a big one at that.
E. Bartlett HTC(SW) USN Ret.
Member Firearms Engravers Guild of America (FEGA)
Nevada Southern Railway (Nevada State Railroad Museum)
Bridgeport Round Ram Mill
11" South Bend/10" Champion Blower & Forge Lathe (Franken Lathe)
12" Sebastian Lathe
everett.bartlett@yahoo.com
jscarmozza

Post by jscarmozza »

Russ, I don't have any room left, Powderhorn, that would be one BIG tool post grinder!
JackF

Post by JackF »

jscarmozza, you have a PM.

Jack.
toolroom

Post by toolroom »

Thanks JS, The top three are the 6A2C designation. Are there any additional markings as to ... D(diamond)D6A2C, or, CBN6A2c, and any other nomenclature printed pertaining to concentration, and/or grit size? Appreciate your help.
Toolroom
postscript...6A2C relates to 6" diameter, A is bond...I believe.2 BCD/hole diameter, and C is standard for cup.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

powderhorn01 wrote:jscarmozza:
All the wheels except for the top three are for a tool post grinder, and a big one at that.
Not exactly. They are all commonly used on cutter grinders.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
jscarmozza

Post by jscarmozza »

The only markings I can find are: D100 NICOM 1/32 & D150 N50 V 1/8. Here's the bad news, both are cracked. I never looked at these things and as I was cleaning them I noticed the cracks. The third one is very heavy and appears to be solid brass or bronze with no markings and no abrasive. I apologize if I got your hopes up, the offer stands, but I don't want anyone getting injured with defective tools. John
mcostello

Post by mcostello »

What size arbor?
tool and cutter grinding wheels.jpg
toolroom

Post by toolroom »

Well JS... You win some, You lose some... Thanks for checking