Floorplan

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

ctwo

Floorplan

Post by ctwo »

I need to reorganize my shop. Right now my second lathe, the 12x36 Jet is still sitting on the floor. I'm trying to figure out where it should be located and it's not working out. The open space seems smaller than it appears in the drawing, probably because there is stuff all around like some stools, hand trucks, another small air compressor, a couple vacuums, etc...

My first thought is to locate the lathe where the 5' granite bench is currently. I would push the granite bench back and have it back-to-back with the lathe. That would leave me looking for a space for the surface plate. I could put that on the end where the shop cart sits. I had it there once, but it seems close to the door and in the way. Makes me think I need a complete reorg.

I was then thinking maybe I should locate all 4 machines in the center and line the walls with benches and stuff.

Any basic strategies you folks use to maximize space?

I should mention that this is a 2-car garage, with the back wall slightly longer than the front. The big door is at the bottom of the drawing. There is a large telescope in the left corner not shown.
Attachments
floorplan.png
Standards are so important that everyone must have their own...
To measure is to know - Lord Kelvin
Disclaimer: I'm just a guy with a few machines...
GlennW

Re: Floorplan

Post by GlennW »

ctwo wrote:I was then thinking maybe I should locate all 4 machines in the center and line the walls with benches and stuff.
That's how mine is set up.

Machines sprinkled around in the middle and a bench around the perimeter.

My 24" x 36" surface plate is on wheels with screw down feet and rolls under the bench.

My lathes are back to back.
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

Mine is almost the opposite. Machines and large cabinets (Lista type) around the perimeter, grinders separated off as much as possible on the opposite side of precision machines. Welding/Fab table, large free standing wooden bench/cabinet, and 2 very heavy rolling work surfaces (one built from a horizontal boring mill t-slot table, the other 1/2" plate) arranged roughly into what amounts to 2 reconfigurable islands. Other things like the blast cabinet and wood machines are on wheels so they go outside in use when possible.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

The 5" bench I have in the middle now, it has a 2x2 foot hole cut in the table top for another table saw, and it has a cutout for a router, so it was my woodworking bench. I never use it and unfortunately the table saw on it's own stand is the one that a burned out. Point is, I might loose that bench and just push the lathe back. I park my motorcycle behind there though, so will need to protect that from chips.

I like the idea of back to back lathes as much as having the machines on one wall. It's not likely that I will move the CNC, but will move the chips around and see...

The best solution I'm sure is to move that back wall another 20 feet back.
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

I've always liked the idea of multiple lathes set parallel to each other with the tailstock against the wall and the head out in the room. This lets you get to all sides of the machine for cleaning and maintenance. I would put both of yours parallel to the 8' bench. I would also move the grinder over by the sander and table saw - keep the particle generating tools away from everything else. Also, vertical storage is your friend - I have on a shelf, Air compressor on the bottom, drum sander above that, vise above that, grinder above that, sander on top. Each one mounted on a board. When I need one, I pull it out and bolt to a bench. Put away when done. Another shelf has welder on bottom, planer in center, small table saw on top. My 2 cents.
SteveR
12x36 Enco Lathe, 9x42 Bridgeport, SMAW, O/A, Miller MIG w/gas, plasma
Not enough measuring tools...
1.5" Allen Models Consolidation on air.
1" FEF in progress
1" & 3/4" LE Projects
I'm thankful that metal is recyclable....
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

I neglected to say that one of the reasons mine is arranged the way it is, I can move all the portable carts and saws out under the awning and get my crew cab inside. Not convenient, but possible should it ever be needed.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

SteveR wrote:Put away when done.
This alone would solve some of my space concerns.
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

ctwo wrote:
SteveR wrote:Put away when done.
This alone would solve some of my space concerns.
My shop is a 10' x 20' garage built in 1923 and it is full. If I don't put stuff away, I have no space to move. We have a 5S program at work and while it is a bit over the top, it helps me stay organized at home. For example, things don't get lost under piles of stuff and tools all get put away. Takes an extra minute, but I stay sane (relatively).
SteveR
12x36 Enco Lathe, 9x42 Bridgeport, SMAW, O/A, Miller MIG w/gas, plasma
Not enough measuring tools...
1.5" Allen Models Consolidation on air.
1" FEF in progress
1" & 3/4" LE Projects
I'm thankful that metal is recyclable....
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

Tip from India;
Hole in the wall lined up with your lathe spindle so stock with excess length sticks out through it.

The only other idea I have to offer is; get a bigger shop!
Aircraft hangers, we all need aircraft hangers.
Why doesn't ANYONE understand???
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

On the wall, you can strategically hang a poster or paint something like lips. I've seen that, yeah, Mr. Fenner...
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Only comment I have is that you should be sure that the 10x24 lathe has room to have stock sticking out the headstock end. Not sure of the spindle height and the relationship to the bench.

If the spindle is higher than the bench, you could make something to go on the bench to hold excess material sticking out of the headstock.

Steve
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

I have good use of all vertical space. The first thing I did was to install a 2 foot shelf about 2 feet below the joists on both sides. The shelves are 6' high and the bench on that side has a shelf over the bench, so that entire wall is packed from floor to joists. All benches have shelves underneath that are packed. The back wall is full of kitchen cabinets over the tool boxes and bench.

I just could not warm up to the idea of the machines in the center, but I think that is a more efficient work environment. I think it's the idea of chips flying out in all directions and covering the entire floor and getting under the perimeter stuff. I think I'll take the easy way and try the lathes parallel face to face. This will define the right half of the shop for the machine space and keep all the mess on that side. The lathes will be about 3' from the bench and the spindles are higher, so enough room for stock.
Attachments
floorplan2.png