wiring for single hase two-speed motor

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

gstewart

wiring for single hase two-speed motor

Post by gstewart »

I have a 1/2 hp washing machine motor that I want to use to build a drum sander but am unsure how it should be wired. The cover plate is missing and there are no leads - only three lugs. Here are the specs for the motor:
CANADIAN GENERAL ELECTRIC COMPANY LIMITED
TORONTO CANADA
APPLIANCE MOTOR
MODEL ME
4J620AX2
TYPE KH
FRAME 44
H.P. 1/2
RPM 1725/1140
VOLTS 115
CY 60 PH-1
AMPS 7.9/7.2
130C INSUL
INGLIS
THERMAL PROTECTION
27084-14
I have attached, hopefully, a picture of the connection lugs. There are letters (C,W, H and BU) near each of the lugs which can be seen in the picture but mean nothing to me. There are only three connection lugs.
The image identifies the lugs and the ohm readings between them. I also identified which combinations of lugs will run the motor using a 120 volt line. The problem is that three of the combinations will run the motor and I have no idea which is correct. Neither can I see any difference in speed between any of the arrangements. I only need the motor to run at the higher speed.
I have found nothing online related to this motor using the information provided.
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Attachments
GE Motor connections.jpg
spro

Re: wiring for single hase two-speed motor

Post by spro »

This has lingered too long. Many know but didn't look at this as a request. Post in general discussion and get it done. This is motor candy for some of the folks here.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

There are a bunch of wiring diagrams available here:
http://www.usmotors.com/TechDocs/Connection-Diagrams

Seer if one of those matches your layout.

Steve
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

Huh.....I didn't see this post....

Looks like a 2-speed swamp cooler motor.
I took a look at a couple, an Emerson, and a Dial, and are a touch different on the spacing of the terminals, but between the two, the lugs are the same.
Also, both the ones I have here, the lugs are labeled L, C, & H.

If these are the same as your GE, as far as wiring, by the letters on your pic, it would connect:
A = Low
B = Neutral
C = High

So....there's a maybe....(better late than never?)

;)
Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.