Made in America

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

SteveHGraham

Re: Made in America

Post by SteveHGraham »

My Delta/Rockwell drill press cost something like $3000 new in the 1960's.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

are you still gloating?
Standards are so important that everyone must have their own...
To measure is to know - Lord Kelvin
Disclaimer: I'm just a guy with a few machines...
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

He's entitled to. :-)
ctwo wrote:are you still gloating?
Steve
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

"Made in America" may be wishful thinking. We were building the best tools in the world, at a time in history when other countries were still in the dark and middle age. Within a relatively short time, those countries have caught up and are capable of meeting and even exceeding our standards. When people read "made in China" on a product, they immediately condemn it as junk; I know because I used to be one of those people. I used to think the same thing about Japanese made products, but I soon realized after some research, that China can and does produce some very fine products. They just don't find their way to our country due to high cost. Japanese quality is above reproach as we all know; they make machines that are used in factories all over the world, but has not been a big presence here, again due to high cost. I wondered what happens to used Japanese machinery. I found out that most of it is sold to China, refubished where it continues in use in their own factories. I found a lot of information on a web site Alababa.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

Was I supposed to stop?
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

SteveHGraham wrote:
Was I supposed to stop?
You didn't strike me as a fatherless child. :lol:
Standards are so important that everyone must have their own...
To measure is to know - Lord Kelvin
Disclaimer: I'm just a guy with a few machines...
Cary Stewart

Post by Cary Stewart »

Question: If the cost of labor in China is the same for any product why would a quality machine tool be the same price as one made in Europe or No. America? Yes there probably is some differences in wages depending on product and region but they still don't make $40.00/Hour. More like $2.50 if I recall the last thing I read but not current. I think Taiwan does much the same thing. If you want European or No. American machine tool high quality they you will pay the same price even though their wages are much much lower than ours or Europe's.
Cary
spro

Post by spro »

The whole thing was factories and foundries going down the tubes while others, at the opposite side of the world were ramping up. That was climate change. If not, then not at all.
Atkinson_Railroad

Post by Atkinson_Railroad »

This You Tube video of a fully printed house is making the rounds on the Internet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xktwDfasPGQ

Approximately at the 2:23 time mark the narrator says, "... and almost eliminate the human factor."
One can see a decade from now where the story could say, "Completely eliminates the human factor."

I didn't watch the rest of the video, so I don't know if the printing apparatus is made in America.

John
rudd

Post by rudd »

I'd encourage folks to look up the Smoot-Hawley tariff act and see what effect it had on the great depression before you get your hopes up.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Atkinson_Railroad wrote:This You Tube video of a fully printed house is making the rounds on the Internet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xktwDfasPGQ

Approximately at the 2:23 time mark the narrator says, "... and almost eliminate the human factor."
One can see a decade from now where the story could say, "Completely eliminates the human factor."

I didn't watch the rest of the video, so I don't know if the printing apparatus is made in America.

John
Research in large-scale printing machines capable of making houses has been done in the past several years at the University of Washington Mechanical Engineering school. My Daughter-in-Law was working on the nozzle designs for printing in clay.
I expect other Universities are doing similar research.
Hmmm...
~RN