Separate Wood and Metal Shops?

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

SteveHGraham

Separate Wood and Metal Shops?

Post by SteveHGraham »

I have a question about shop space, for people who actually have it. Unlike me.

I am considering moving to a house that has a 3-car garage plus a 25 x 36 detached shop. The garage is nicer. The floor is epoxied, and it has drywall. The concrete driveway goes right up to it, so it's possible to move things in and out easily. The detached shop is like a hundred feet away, and the slab under it doesn't touch the driveway, so if I needed to move anything big into the building, I would have to take it over grass.

I'm thinking it would be nice to have the machine tools and wood tools in separate buildings, because wood is a disgusting mess. Dust goes all over the place. If I did this, and I needed hand tools or whatever while doing woodworking, I would have to walk back and forth a lot. There is a certain risk that I might lose weight.

Does it sound like a realistic idea, or am I better off cramming it all into the garage?
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
Lew Hartswick

Re: Separate Wood and Metal Shops?

Post by Lew Hartswick »

Metal shop in the garage ( heaver machinery ), wood shop in the separate bldg. A few duplicate hand tools (shouldn't require too many).
...lew...
Plastikosmd

Post by Plastikosmd »

I had a dust divider in my basement shop in the past. I have now upgraded to 2 separate spaces. Way better
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

SteveHGraham wrote:I have a question about shop space, for people who actually have it...Does it sound like a realistic idea, or am I better off cramming it all into the garage?
Metalworking in the garage, woodworking in the standalone shop. Eventually, you should consider making a hard surface pathway between the two. The grass that is in the likely pathway between the two shops isn't going to thrive for very long.
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
NP317

Post by NP317 »

What's the address? Maybe I can outbid you...
:D

Get movin' Man!
~RN
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

BigDumbDinosaur wrote: Eventually, you should consider making a hard surface pathway between the two. The grass that is in the likely pathway between the two shops isn't going to thrive for very long.
That is the truth.
Don't get me started. For less than half the cost of a cramped half-acre where I am now, with (obviously) no outbuildings, I can get ten beautiful acres in north Florida, complete with a nearly new house, the barn, the shop, a shed, a chicken coop, and an IRON GATE TWO HUNDRED YARDS AWAY FROM MY FRONT DOOR. I could get a hundred acres if I didn't mind being half an hour from the nearest grocery.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

SteveHGraham wrote:
BigDumbDinosaur wrote: Eventually, you should consider making a hard surface pathway between the two. The grass that is in the likely pathway between the two shops isn't going to thrive for very long.
That is the truth.
Don't get me started. For less than half the cost of a cramped half-acre where I am now, with (obviously) no outbuildings, I can get ten beautiful acres in north Florida, complete with a nearly new house, the barn, the shop, a shed, a chicken coop, and an IRON GATE TWO HUNDRED YARDS AWAY FROM MY FRONT DOOR. I could get a hundred acres if I didn't mind being half an hour from the nearest grocery.
Wow!
Just make sure it's got some altitude. Look for that rising sea level.
~RN
neanderman

Post by neanderman »

I'm with what appears to be the consensus: keep them separate - metal machines in the garage; woodworking in the outbuilding.

I'm hoping to put my metal shop in a new garage and keep my woodworking in the basement.

Wood dust is not healthy for machine tools and metal chips are not healthy for woodworking, especially if you use hand tools to any extent.
Ed

LeBlond Dual Drive, 15x30
US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618
Files, snips and cold chisels

Proud denizen of the former "Machine Tool Capitol of the World"
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

I wish I had three shops: machining, woodworking, and welding/grinding/foundry (plus a wet lab for chemistry).
tornitore45

Post by tornitore45 »

My way would be to lay a driveway to the shop building and park the car/cars there, assuming it has a car door.
Separate the garage with a light partition and have the shops there.
Reasons:
When I drive I am "usually" dressed and presentable, a bit of rain to get to the garage is not a problem, rarely I go to and from the car more that 4 times a day if at all.
I go in the shop at any time of the day, not necessarily properly clad, many times in and out, between enjoying my hobby and surrendering to biological and spousal interruptions.
The epoxied floor is a tremendous benefit, it sweep clean without the eternal concrete dust. However an anti-slip gritty treatment is mandatory.
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

John Hasler wrote:I wish I had three shops: machining, woodworking, and welding/grinding/foundry (plus a wet lab for chemistry).
Yeah! Me too!

When the weather is good, I do woodworking and Welding/grinding in front of my shop on the concrete slab.
Problem is, the weather isn't good often enough.

When it's not good, I throw tarps over the machinery. Sawdust is bad, grinding dust is worse....

Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
tornitore45

Post by tornitore45 »

I wish I had three shops: machining, woodworking, and welding/grinding/foundry (plus a wet lab for chemistry).
That is where my ideal house concept of 2 bedrooms, 4 baths and 7 car garages come from.
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX