Separate Wood and Metal Shops?

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

BadDog

Re: Separate Wood and Metal Shops?

Post by BadDog »

My current shop came with an epoxy floor, I'm guessing at least 4 years old before I got it, probably more, which makes 8-10 years or more likely. Based on that, I'll say that "slippery as owl... stuff" is not just applicable to new floors. Wearing my good steel toed non-slip shop shoes (which surprisingly enough REALLY help my leg pain issues) there is no problem any time. But wearing summer sandals (generally considered proper welding attire in Phoenix summers) and a little water, and I've had some really bad slip experiences. I wish mine had grit in it, but as long as I remain aware of it I don't think it's worth a recoat given how well the current floor is holding up (and this was a commercial shop).

Back to the original post, I don't have the luxury of 2 shops, but I keep the wood machines on casters and/or in opposite ends of the shop. All my grinders are on portable stands with the big 8" Baldor permanently stationed under the (2 car size) awning. And my bench top belt grinders are on a heavy cart with all my angle grinders and related gear (wheels to die grinders) to be taken outside for all but the lightest uses. And you can bet the G8 (like the big snag) only get run outside. Way too much mess otherwise. One of my favorites and a "best decision" candidate is the miter saw on a Rigid "zero-g" 2 wheel cantilever cart. Wheels around easily like a 2 wheel dolly, sets up and takes down in under 5 seconds, makes no mess use of the miter saw (something I use a LOT these days) a breeze.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper