Grinding tool bits

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

GlennW

Re: Grinding tool bits

Post by GlennW »

Here are a couple, as Glenn Brooks described in a previous post, that I had to grind to make some tools.

The one on the right is for threading a 1/4" internal thread.

Nearly all of the larger stuff I thread is done with indexable bars and inserts.
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
Harold_V

Re: Grinding tool bits

Post by Harold_V »

BadDog wrote:I didn't see it mentioned, but you also need to account for lead when grinding. The material below the cutting edge needs to lay down along/inside the developing thread, particularly if you want to maximize support, and more so with smaller diameters and/or faster leads. In fact, the trailing side doesn't need to be ground with much relief at all (though you will want some small amount) as the thread tapering away at lead angle will give you clearance.
Precisely why using a form tool to create the 60° form before heat treating isn't a great idea, although using it to rough, leaving grinding material to create the required relief after heat treat isn't a bad thing. I've always just ground them from HSS square stock, usually 3/8". Larger sizes are discouraged because of the amount of grinding involved.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.