Last commemorative Southern Pacific Steam Train in San Francisco Bay Area?

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

NP317

Last commemorative Southern Pacific Steam Train in San Francisco Bay Area?

Post by NP317 »

I grew up in Los Altos, California, (1950 - 1968) and remember a late 1950's steam train that the SP toured on branch lines to mark the end of steam on their lines.
I remember seeing the last (commemorative) steam locomotive passenger train that Southern Pacific steamed down the old commuter branch line from Palo Alto southwest through Los Altos to Saratoga area, when I was under 10 years old.
That rail line became an auto expressway in the early 1960s. Loyola Corners was the local rail stop. I had rare occasions in my early youth to ride those trains (with bi-level cars) to San Francisco and return. Family adventures. Long-ago train memories.

I think that restored commemorative steam locomotive was a Ten Wheeler all "fancied up" for the tour. (I don't trust that memory.)
Did it survive? Is it the steamer at the "Tarantula" Train in Grapevine, Texas?
I've always wondered. Anyone have answers to share?
~Russ N
JackF

Re: Last commemorative Southern Pacific Steam Train in San Francisco Bay Area?

Post by JackF »

I lived in the bay area from 1953 to 1976. We moved to Belmont in 1953 and our backyard was a block and a half from the SP tracks. The steam engines were still in use in the 50s but if I remember right only on the freight trains. the passenger trains,( the "Daylight" and the "Lark") I believe, both used the Streamlined diesel/electric engines. When I lived in Sunnyvale I rode the commuter from there to SF, mid 60s to 70.. They used both the old "Pullman" and the Double Deckers. On the way In I could sleep till we got to SF as it was the end of the line, on the way back I would sometimes miss the Sunnyvale stop and end up in San Jose. Usually on Friday evenings, when I and 1/2of the commuters would stop at the little store across from the terminal and pick up a 6 pack to drink on the way home. :shock: :wink: :lol: I swear, you had to wade through the beer cans to get off the train. :roll: Usually though most of the conductors knew who got off where and would wake us up at our stop. :) :) Sorry for the long story but you did bring back some good memories. :) :)

Jack
NP317

Re: Last commemorative Southern Pacific Steam Train in San Francisco Bay Area?

Post by NP317 »

Fun to hear other's memories of SF Bay Area trains during the transition from steam to dismal.
Thanks for sharing.
I'm hoping Ken Shattock will have an answer to my question.

More memories:
I remember the early 1960s, driving on the newer Bayshore Freeway north toward San Fran., past Daly City, and over the "causeway" toward the new site for Candlestick Park. A large Souther Pacific yard was to the west of the causeway (that bay was fairly quickly filled in) and I could see row after row of cab forwards, 2-8-2s, consolidations and other steamers waiting to be scrapped. Because I was not raised in a railroading family, we never drove that short distance to the lines for a closer look. Nor did I get to witness the last cab forward train leaving Oakland in 1958.

I DO remember lying in bed at night, at my grandparents' home in Auburn, California, listening to the steamers working their way up grade to the Sierras.
Sound memories are strong.

A recently published book, by the Southern Pacific Historical Society (correct name?), is filled with gorgeous colors pictures of the late steam era in California. The photos came from a collection of slides taken by John Hungerford, my wife's Great Uncle. We're still unpacking after a move, so I cannot get that book out yet.

Memories.
~RN